F o r t y - F o u r

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Gifted another chance to make a difference, her awareness traveled from within her dreams to actuality, awakening her to a brand new day worth living. Manon was met with a dark room, the shades serving their utmost purpose at concealing the sun from her reach. 

It had become a routine for her, to regain her consciousness, adjust to her surroundings, then look for him. If his arms weren't around her already, she would turn her head to his side of the bed, find relief if he was there, and if not, search for further clues, usually a perfectly written note, or a message on her phone, explaining of his whereabouts.

That day, she took the time she could to look his way and admire everything he was. In his most precious state, soundlessly asleep, away in a land where she hoped she was with him, too, he was most breathtaking.

Manon watched Timothée for the last moment, appreciating the minuscule details that made him who he was, the sun-kissed nose he had, enclosed with a feral patch of freckles, creating a world of their own, one you could surely get lost in if you tried to count them all. Each day she cherished him that way, never taking him for granted, always keeping him close. 

Finally, she found the strength to move forward and get herself up, for things were coming, good things, she hoped, but she did not do so in silence, and he heard her, briefly awakening from the deep sleep she thought he was in.

"No, no" The boy whimpered softly, reaching his hand out for her to take "Don't go, I want you to stay" Timothée murmured under his bewitched state as Manon watched him with a smile of adoration. Of course she couldn't say no, and she stumbled back into bed, running her palm through his hair as he seemed to fall back asleep, before opening his eyes again, blessed with the vision of her. Even when she had just risen from the land of dreams, with her hair amiss and her lids furnished with the netting of exhaustion, she was still gorgeous, and he did not want to let her go. 

"I have to go" Manon explained to him as she brushed a lock of his dark hair out of his face. She felt so bad for leaving, usually, he was the one to do so without her noticing, she wasn't so good at being the one to leave first.

"But I don't want you to go" Her boyfriend pouted at her, clearly unhappy with the idea of not having her around, even if it was just for a few hours. 

"Tim, interview's today" She broke into a childish giggle as she examined his miserable features, those that no doubt went through a lot the previous day, still not fully recovered from it "I can't miss it" The girl pursed her lips together, knowing that was her chance, the big break she was looking for, or at least, a step towards the right direction. 

"Right" He nodded as he rubbed his face, massaging it softly, before a burst of energy, one of realization, coursed through him and he sat up with much excitement "Wait, your interview is today? Your interview is today! I'm so happy for you"! Timothée wrapped his arms around her, his force causing her to stumble right into the engulfing bed, feeling ticklish at the first touch of the morning.

"Yeah, yeah" Manon clicked her tongue as her laughter lessened, feeling elated at the thought, but attempting to manage her expectations all the same. She had long learned not to keep her hopes high, for when she did, everything tumbled down. 

The girl watched her boyfriend as he rose from the bed, his actions all of a sudden confident and calculated, causing her to do nothing but raise her brows in bewilderment, for it was only a moment ago that he seemed utterly worn out "Tim, What are you doing"?