E i g h t

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ 

"And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side,
Of my darling, my darling, my life and my bride,
In her sepulchre there by the sea,
In her tomb by the sounding sea" Timothée's voice echoed dramatically through the lake as he finished reading the poem printed out on the paper he was holding in his hands.

"That's sad" Manon responded to the poem that was read to her by her best friend. She rested her back on one of the benches of the boat and looked up at the masterpiece above her. The sky was full of reds, purples, oranges, scarlets, and even a few stars. Timothée's voice as he read the poem to her made her enter a calm state of mind.

The two had often found themselves taking a small boat out onto the lake. They liked connecting with nature and reading out their favorite pieces of literature to each other. Their parents always watched them from the shore, making sure that everything was fine. 

The two laid in silence that day, appreciating the peace and quiet as the world darkened around them. There was no movement of branches, no birds flying, no fishes knocking into their boat, and no echos of laughter coming from the shore. It all seemed so quiet, so perfect. As if the world gifted them that moment of stillness, that moment where they were the only ones on earth, where the sound of their breathing was the only sound made across the universe.

"Timmy"? Manon called out quietly, interrupting the silence in an attempt to check if her best friend was awake.

"Yeah"? The boy questioned, lifting himself up to look at the girl.

"Do you think we're going to stay friends forever"? Manon asked, hoping Timothée wouldn't judge her for asking such a childish question. She couldn't quite explain why the question suddenly rose to her mind. Perhaps it was because of the poem that was read out to her earlier that night, making her wonder what would their future look like, and if they would be apart of each other's future.

"I-I don't know" Timothée replied, her question hitting him unexpectedly "Why are you asking"? He continued, wondering if there was an intricate reason behind the question.

"What happens when we'll become adults? When we'll no longer go on vacation with our families? When we start our careers and go our separate ways"? Manon blurted out all the questions souring through her mind. The girl deeply cared for him, and the thought of the two eventually drifting away broke her heart. She had a feeling it would happen, but she had no idea how. 

"Are you okay"? Timothée spoke as the girl lifted herself up to face him, her eyes glistening under the stars. He thought he saw tears, but he wasn't quite sure. He knew it could be the effects of the lighting of the moon that accompanied the two and soured above them like a guardian. 

He hoped she wouldn't take his question the wrong way. He enjoyed their deep conversations but greatly wanted to know why she brought the topic up. Part of him was hoping she'd confess something to him. Knowing that if she did, he wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing.

"I guess I'm just about worried about the future" Manon rubbed her shoulders nervously and looked down at her feet, unable to admit to the boy in front of her that it was because she never wanted to let him go.

"I am your future, Manon, don't you get that by now? We're a package deal" Timothée attempted to cheer the girl up as his face widened with a grin. She wished he knew how much those words made her stomach flutter, how much they made her cheeks fill with warmth. And he wished she knew he wouldn't be able to live without her.

"I'm really glad to hear that, thanks" Manon smiled at him, shifting in her sit awkwardly and hoping that she didn't make herself seem like a whiny fool in front of him.

"Anything for you" Timothée smiled, wondering if Manon was truly aware of just how much he was ready to do for her.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Manon's eyes met the darkness in her empty apartment in Italy, her heart pounding fast and her lungs expanding upon realizing that the love she experienced was nothing but yet another dream. That time though, it felt much worse. Timothée wasn't gone anymore, he was present in her life again, yet it felt as if the last time she saw him truly, was all those years ago in France.

Her chest heaved, and tears quickly welled up behind her eyelids, slipping down her cheeks upon realizing that she was back in reality. The girl found herself uncontrollably sobbing and curling to her side, her shoulders rising up and down as she laid in the bedroom, all alone.

Manon could barely see as she stumbled around her apartment after her own fit with herself, the remaining tears in her eyes blurring her view. She walked into the bathroom of the apartment she was renting for the month and washed her face, attempting to wash away the puffiness and the redness of her face. She then made her way to the kitchen in an attempt to find something to eat, something that could bring her the comfort she was longing for. 

Upon not finding anything interesting, she plopped down on the couch with a groan, her feet landing on the script of the production, and the book the script was based on. She moved her legs quickly and picked up the two in her hands, remembering how Luca gave the two to her shortly after she arrived to help her adjust to production. 

She weighed her options for a moment and figured that if she wasn't going back to sleep again, she might as well entertain herself with some literature just as she did all those years ago. She was hoping that perhaps if she did some reading, her mind would stray further from Timothée.

Manon found herself skipping down the stairs and exiting her apartment building, deciding to hunt for a spot suitable for reading. For her apartment was depressing her, and she feared staying there all alone. 

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Timothée sat in his apartment, playing a song on the piano, a song he and Manon had listened to all those years ago. The thought of her, and the thought of the lack of actions on both their side brought pain and anger to him. He knew he had to go to bed, to get his so-called beauty sleep, yet the moment he got into bed, Manon would subconsciously storm his thoughts, making it extremely difficult to fall asleep. He was tired of wrestling that night with the dark and the light in an attempt to find some sort of comfort or relief from either side. 

So instead, he played the piano, attempting to calm his nerves down. He picked up on playing the piano again for the sake of the project, but found himself escaping to it for comfort quite often. 

The boy sighed as he looked at the time on the watch resting on his arm, realizing he had to somehow make his body finally turn off for the day and fall asleep. He grabbed his keys, deciding to head to Armie's apartment. He was confident that Armie had some sleeping pills he could take, or at least, he knew he'd feel much better knowing he wasn't in an apartment all alone with nothing but his thoughts towering over him.

Timothée knew that he just longed for someone's company, for someone to tell him that he was okay, that he'd done nothing wrong, because truthfully, he felt like he did, and his piano simply wasn't enough to help him out of that state of mind. 

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━