28. Royal Breakfast

I wake up the next morning with a headache.

I roll over with a groan, my hand searching blinding for the pill bottle on my nightstand. I can't start the day with a headache. I know my headaches-they will build quickly into full-blown searing migraines that will leave me bedridden and crippled in pain.

I take one of the little pills with some water in a glass I always leave on my nightstand, and snuggle back under the covers. I just need an hour of relaxation for the headache to dissipate.

I try not to think about everything that happened yesterday. From the moment I stepped into the police station, to the moment I left with my parents a couple of hours later. Everything was an emotional blur.

Mama burst into tears the moment I walked in. She and my father had been sitting in the waiting room, anxiously awaiting my arrival. I didn't even notice that Evan released my hand until I was swept up in a hug between both of my parents.

Ushered into another office, the questioning began. I tried my best to answer them, relying on my lack of knowledge and the pieces Evan and Rick had told me. Evan had to give his own testimony of finding me and I couldn't help but notice the gears working away in my mother's tired eyes as she assessed Evan and his account. No doubt she had her suspicions about him and his side of the story.

When I shared my story about going to the club with Ava, but remembering nothing of it, my mother clutched me tightly, mumbling how someone could be so terrible to drug her baby girl and then abduct her.

That became the assumptions made by everyone there. Someone drugged me. There was no other explanation.

I cried. They reassured me that it wasn't my fault, but that's not why I was crying.

I cried because I was certain that wasn't the issue. It had to be because of my shift. Somehow, my inner wolf had taken over and blocked me completely from consciousness. That had to be it. And it scared me that it could happen again, and Evan might not be there to stop it or help me through it.

What had I done? In my haste to return home and reassure my parents, I refused to heed Evan's warnings.

When he and Rick left, I crumpled. Seeing Evan walk out of the office was like a slap in the face. He had been there for me through everything. He had guided me out of the thunderstorm to shelter, provided me with food, gained my trust despite being a wolf, and then helped me out of shifting because he knew I wasn't ready. And what did I do?

I groan again, shaking my head lightly to try and rid myself of the memories.

Stop it, Zara. He had to leave. What did you expect to happen? Mama would invite him and Rick over for dinner?

I snort at the thought as I peek at my alarm clock. Almost eight-thirty. I should be at work by now before the front gates opened for the tourists, but I know I don't have a job until I talk with Ruby.

Not to mention, I need to clear my head before I can do anything.

I close my eyes right before I hear my bedroom door open with a small creak.

"Zara?" Mama's voice is soft as she peers into my room through a crack.

A rumbling noise escapes my throat.

"So you are awake." It's not a question, but more of a declaration.

"Yeah, but I got a headache."

"Did you take one of your migraine pills?"

I roll over and bury my face into my pillow. "Do you really have to ask?"

She huffs as she opens the door further and steps inside. "No, I guess not. I've just been so worried about you."