33. The Drive Ahead

Leaving the restaurant, the whole entire group of people disbanded; hugging and kissing each other goodbye while also grouping up to ride in different cars. Stevie and Lindsey were in the middle of it all along with other band members since Lindsey was getting a lot of the attention just for being there.

Lindsey wasn't exactly for the attention but he was as cordial as he could be; all he wanted was to go home, back to the hotel so that he and Stevie could leave, back home since the flight would only be a couple hours.

"It was good seeing you," John put his hand out to pull Lindsey in for a hug.

"Yeah, ditto---" he kind of smiled, hugging the bassist.

"We should catch up sometime," the man added.

"For sure," he agreed. "I'll be at Stevie's, so..." he kind of lingered with a small laugh following the statement as he let an arm sling around the blonde's neck.

"Feel free to drop by anytime," Stevie mentioned. "I would love it," she ensured.

"Sounds good, love," John then stepped forward to peck cheeks with her.

Right after, Stevie kind of slipped out of Lindsey's grasp so she could go and talk to her girls while Lindsey talked to Mick and other people.

"Hey, you..." Lori grinned, wrapping an arm around her sister in-law. "So, how's everything going?" she asked.

"Really good---I'm so happy to see everybody getting along," she nodded, kind of glancing back at all the men. "It makes me feel a lot better."

"As good as that sounds... I meant you and Lindsey---how are things going for you guys?" she asked more calmly.

"Well, we seem to be fine," she gave a short nod. "I think---since we actually planned what was going to happen, I think everything's gonna be just fine."

"That's really good, Stevie---" Sharon assured with a small smile and nod.

"Yeah," she agreed softly. "Things are also different, hopefully for the better and so far it has been for the better, but because everybody knows. We're not hiding anymore, we can do as we please; go wherever we want, see whoever we want at anytime. Before, we'd be cooped up in my house or a hotel room. And you know Lindsey has to be running around getting things done. It's just healthier for us, for him because of his heart. There's no stress of hiding anymore."

"And how is everything as far as his heart?" Lori then asked.

"He's perfectly fine," she assured. "There's been far less tension between him and me because we're not worried about Kristen anymore. His kids know, they're okay with it and he has more room to move in a sense."

"I'm sure, he used to practically live in his studio, right?" the red head added.

Stevie just nodded, unaware that her sister would bring that up aloud.

Even though it had always been true and some people knew and, or could guess it---it was still something that would make Lindsey vulnerable and for people who he thought didn't know or care, it would be uncomfortable for him. While making him uncomfortable, it made Stevie sad that he couldn't have the happiest of marriages---it made her feel like she had failed as a friend, but there was that sliver of jealousy she felt since Kristen was his wife and she wasn't.

"Hey, Steph?" Lindsey called out as he came near, wrapping his arm around her neck and holding her other hand.

"Yes?" she kind of turned her head, resting it on his shoulder so she could look up at him.

"Are you ready? I really wanna go..." he admitted.

"Yeah, I'll meet you in the car, okay?" she asked.