6. Our Secret

Waking up the following morning, Stevie rolled over to her side to be met by her dog licking part of her face.

"Can I help you?" she kind of laughed, bringing her hand up to pet her dog.

Lily curled into her side and dug her paws into the blankets between herself and Stevie.

Giving a small chuckle, Stevie turned a bit to look up at the ceiling and right at that moment, her conversation with Lindsey seemed to grab her. She then reached over for her phone on the night stand so she could see if there were anymore messages he might have sent her. But as she scrolled through, she only saw messages from Karen from early in the morning and she passed all of them, ignoring them all together.

The only thing that was important to her was Lindsey and she had every intention to go over and see him as he asked.

She pried herself from the bed, throwing her legs overs the edge of the bed. Grabbing a robe, she slipped her phone in the pocket and then gestured for her dog to follow her.

Lily jumped up and did exactly that but growled when she couldn't get down off the high bed.

"Here," Stevie kind of smiled, putting her on the ground. She then led the way down the stairs and to the kitchen so she could brew some coffee. As she brought a cup down and fed her dog, she could hear her front door opening.

"Good, you're up," Karen said exasperated. "Have you read any of my messages? I've been texting you all morning."

"Oh, I know... I read 'em," she rose a brow. "I just didn't respond."

"Wonderful," her assistant rolled her eyes. "Anyway, what are you doing today?"

"I'm going to Lindsey's," she said bluntly. "I don't have anything to do, right?"

"No, but... Lindsey's again?" she creased her brow. "Is that exactly wise?"

Taking a sip of her coffee, she tried to dodge the question but at the same time she was thinking of a logical answer.

Anything they were doing; none of it seemed wise or at all smart. Even though she wanted to go over there to spend time with him again, she was still considering his wife.

"What about Kristen? Thought you guys got into it last night," Karen added.

"Look, if he's not worried about it, then I'm not. He told me not to and that I could come over during the day while the kids were in school," she finally mentioned.

Looking down at her watch, "Well, then I'd get going. It's almost noon and kids get out around three," she replied.

"Okay," she nodded, setting her mug on the counter. "Once you drop me off, you can leave to do whatever."

Sitting in front of his house, Stevie stared out her window briefly.

"You going in?" Karen asked.

"Yeah, yeah..." she nodded, opening the car door to let herself off. "I'll see you in a little bit."

"Text me when I should be on my way," she added.

"Okay," she agreed and stepped off the vehicle. She then repeated her steps as the day before; opening and slipping through the gate, and shutting it behind her gently. Right after, she made it up to the doorway, not near as much stress as she had the day before, but actual excitement coursing through her veins. Knocking on the door, she kind of looked out to see the neighborhood and people going about their noon tasks.

The door then opened.

When she heard the door, Stevie turned her head immediately and gave a gentle smile.