Chapter 7 : Breaking Free

Dedicated to Tay for being what I would essentially call my fandom sister. I think she's the only one out of all my closest friends who's in most of the fandoms I'm in. 

Chapter 7 : Breaking Free

I sat there beside Mom, sighing dreamily. Young Dad sounded like the kind of guy I want to end up with.

“Oh Mom…I always thought you and Dad were cliché being high school sweethearts but now I know you weren’t exactly Cliché Couple of The Year.”

“Yeah your Dad is wonderful. I wish I had stayed that night, that’s my biggest regret of all. I almost lost your Dad that night I ran off.” She got that faraway look again. I started to panic when I remember I had to stay calm for her. This place was clearly not doing her any good. I place my hand on top of hers to get her attention.

“Mom… I think we need to get out of here.”

“Kiddo, I already told you, they won’t let me go unless I take therapy.” She sighed tiredly, and all of a sudden she looked really tired. I give her a cheeky smile,

“I guess we’re going have to break out then.” From daughter to mother, we shared a mischievous look. Then I started helping her out of bed. She changed back to her normal clothes and we went on stealth mode, avoiding nurses and doctors. Finally once we reached the door, we full on sprinted for it and for effect, and Mom started belting out the lyrics to Breaking Free.

We’re breaking free!
Soaring
Flyin'
There’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
We’re trying
But we’re breaking free
Oh, we’re breakin’ free.

 We did it! We broke out of the hospital without getting caught. We reach the Impala and Mom stops short,

“Hey, Kiddo, do you think you could let your old lady take the Impala for a spin one last time?” Of course she could, it was essentially her car. I threw her the keys and got in the front seat. When Mom got in, she was practically bouncing in her seat. Then she started rummaging through the glove compartment.

“Ah ha!” she said loud and proud as she pulled out a dusty old CD. She put it the player and hit play. The familiar tune of Highway to Hell by AC/DC started to play. She started the engine and drove home, feeling like Sam and Dean.

We reach home and we see Dad’s car parked in the garage. I gesture to Mom to keep silent so that we could surprise Dad.

“Dad! I’m home!” I call out.

“I’m in the study!”  he called back. Mom and I climbed up the stairs quickly and made our way to the study. I open the door to the study and Dad’s back facing me. Mom is still behind me.

“Are your siblings with you, Elle?” he asks.

“Nope. Blake’s taken Bianca out, Q has Art Club and Dyl has got Drama but I’ve got someone else here.” I could barely keep the excitement out of my voice. He turns around and drops his pen when he sees Mom.

“Skylar? What are you doing out of the hospital?” He couldn’t even hide the shock in his voice and he was frowning deeply. The kind of frown he gives us when he’s disappointed with us.

“Gee, it’s nice to see you too, Dylan.” Mom’s voice filled with sarcasm and amusement at the same time. She walked towards to Dad and gave him a sweet kiss and hug.

“It’s great to be back home. Dylan? Are you alright? You seem tensed.” Mom asked worriedly. I was about to leave the room to give them space when I noticed Dad’s rigid composure. He seemed really stressed. He closed his eyes and pinched his nose bridge. Whenever he did that, it was never a good thing.