Epilogue

• Dedicated to Qistina and Sophia

Dedicated to Qistina again because she is awesome and she helped contribute to the powerful last paragraph of this story. She wrote like half of that paragraph and I just tweaked it. I never knew she was a brilliant writer. I'm also dedicating this to her sister Sophia who wants to write about her life story, according to Qis, she's got a cover and everything. I fully support and I hope this will give her the courage to never to give up because her sister and I always here for her.

Epilogue

5 years later

Some people go through life alone, some people go through life with best friends. This was the story of how my best friends and I were separated by our parents and then reunited again. Yet I ended up talking more about my Mom than anyone else. Mom was my one true best friend since the moment I was born, not once did she make me feel like I was alone; she was always there for me. Then Dad just had to chase her away (unintentionally of course). We never saw her for the next five years. I was upset at first, blaming myself for not stopping her. Then for the next few years, I was angry, so angry and I just lashed out at Thomas but he got me through, along with Henry and Bianca. After a while, I realized there was absolutely no point being angry and I let it go. A few months after that, Thomas proposed. Of course I said yes.

So here I was a year later, in an elegant strapless snow white dress that fell just above my ankles so that it didn’t get dirty being dragged on the floor. It had ruffles under my waistline and made a beautiful motion whenever I twirled. Bianca and I picked it out together and I absolutely loved it. There was a little knock at my dressing room door. Thinking it was Bianca or one of the boys I called them in,

“Come in.” I heard a gasp and from my mirror I saw my mother. It was my turn to gasp as I turned to face her.

“Mom.” She smiled, her eyes crinkling at the sides. I could see the grays in her hair, reminding me that I was no longer 18 anymore. I was 23 now and she was 50, yet it felt just like five years ago when she beamed at me on her birthday at MacLaren’s. Without wasting another moment, I ran to her and hug her tight.

“Mommy, I missed you. I never thought I’d see you again.” My voice cracked and next thing I knew, I was crying. I felt like a child again. She stroked my hair soothingly and then pulled away from the hug. Tears were glistening in her eyes as well.

“Me too kiddo, me too.” She whispered then in her normal voice, “Now let me look at my beautiful baby girl in her wedding dress. Give me a twirl.” I happily twirled for her and started laughing. I was so happy I couldn’t stop laughing. The laughing and crying had smudged my makeup so Mom helped me for the next five minutes touching up my makeup. Once she was done and as if on cue, Bianca came to get me.

“Elle, it’s time for you- Oh! Ms. Carson, it’s nice to see you again.” I was relieved that Bianca didn’t say the wrong thing for once.

“Lovely to see you too, Bianca. I’ll walk her to the ceremony hall and then let her father take over.” Mom gave Bianca a small smile before taking my hand and walking me out. I wish Mom’s the one walking me down the aisle. I loved Dad but he hasn’t been the same since Mom left. It’s going to knock him out of his wits when he sees her today. Being the maid of honour, Bianca walked into the hall just before I did and Mom brought me to Dad. He noticed her but didn’t say anything. 

“You look brilliant, Vanellope.” Dad looked really proud. I was proud of me too; I never dreamt that I would ever get married. I mean I was the most awkward teen growing up. Dad offered me his arm and I took it as I returned his smile. Mom and Dad shared a look before Dad and I entered the hall. Mom followed behind and then went by the back to take her seat in the front row. 

Thomas looked completely like he was knocked out of breath. Well he didn’t look too shabby himself; I’m kidding, he was gorgeous in his black suit and cornflower blue tie.

“Wow…” he whispered to me and I gave him a cheeky wink. Then the pastor started his ‘Dearly Beloved’ speech. I was half listening as I played back the memories of the year I met Thomas, Bianca and Henry. It was an interesting, full of ups and downs. Although Christmas and New Year’s that year was the same without Mom. She was here now and that was all that matters now. Then I noticed the pastor and Thomas both looking at me expectantly.

“What?” I asked confused and almost rudely. Almost everyone in the hall erupted in laughter. I quirked an eyebrow and looked at the pastor. Almost immediately he repeated his line,

“Do you Vanellope Tequila Carson, take Thomas Brodie-Smith as your husband, for richer or poorer, better or worse, when in sickness and in health until death do you part?” I could tell the pastor seemed uneasy in saying my middle name again.

“Ohh…of course I do!” I say too excitedly and that earns a chuckle from Thomas as I beam at him.

“May I have the rings?” The pastor asks and Henry passes it to him. The pastor gives us the rings and we exchange them.

“By the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.” We went all out and once we were down, the two of us practically ran down the aisle like little kids. We headed to the lower floor to change into more casual wear for reception; God knows that Thomas and I would soil our wedding wear if we were near food.

***

Reception was done beautifully, of course by Bianca. This might sound arrogant but I baked my own wedding cake, there is literally no one else I could have trusted to get the cake right. It was a simple two layer chocolate cake, just enough for everyone to get a piece.  Bianca even got the playlist for music right; classic rock and punk pop. When Thomas and I first entered the reception room, everyone was settled in nicely, mingling and helping themselves to the food. I had changed into a light blue backless dress that fell just below my knees while Thomas was sporting blue slacks to go along with my dress. I inspected the room and saw Mom embracing Blake; I swore I saw Blake crying. I made a mental note to poke fun at him for it.

I went over to greet Mom and Blake as a married lady.

 “Hey guys!”  I was a bag full of joy today.

“How does it feel like to be a married woman, sis?”

“Great! I expect a ring on Bianca’s finger by my birthday next month, Blake!” I tease. I had to attend to other guests so I let Thomas and Blake handle for a bit while I had a little time to myself with Mom.

“Mom, I’m really glad you came today, I don’t know what I would have done if you didn’t.”

“I know what you would have done. Ditched the wedding to come find me. I wouldn’t have missed this day even if the Doctor and his TARDIS landed right in front of me, asking me to be his companion.” She jokes, I laugh.

“True. Oh my, Mom. Knowing you, you would have dragged the Doctor to the wedding.” She nods still laughing.

“Well, I can’t keep you away from your guests forever. Go on then.”

“Before I do, promise me you’ll talk to Dad.” She gives me a small nod before leaving my side to find Dad. I catch up to Thomas and stick to his side all night. Finally the time for dancing came. I was more than excited. I hated dancing but ballroom dancing with my husband on our wedding day was a dream come true.

‘Always’ by Panic! At The Disco started playing and I saw Bianca wink at me. Thomas immediately took my hand and brought me to the centre of the dance floor.  While dancing, I saw Mom watching us. I caught her eye and she winked at me before raising her glass to me as a toast. I grinned back widely at her.

I should have known when she drank it in one gulp.

When we turned back to her, I let go of Thomas and ran to her.

“MOM!” I scream as she hit the floor.

I should have known that behind her million-dollar smile and contagious laugh, there’s hidden depression and loneliness that disturbed her. I should have known that those five years never did her good, that year I was 18, left a memory she wished she never had. All the horrible things that had happened to her in the past, all engraved in her memory.

 I should have known.