Chapter 6 : When Dylan Met Skylar

Dedicated to Connor for being a great friend who shares the same love for books. Not many boys do. Also, not a day goes by I don't regret you playing that prank on me which led us to this friendship.

Chapter 6 : When Dylan Met Skylar

The autumn leaves were rustling at our feet and the cool air surrounding us felt refreshing as we scrolled through the streets of New York. After bailing me out of jail, I never expected Dylan to ask me out again like ever. Yet he managed to surprise me again and asked me out after two weeks after the prom incident. Two weeks was good timing on his part. I needed space to process what had happened the last few week of the school year. I had processed it…most of it at least. Clearly not enough since I ruined our date.

“So Sky, what do you like to do for fun?” Dylan asked, he just wanted to get to know me but I just had to get all snarky but I like to think that he loved it when I got snarky, otherwise we wouldn’t be where we are.

“Its Skylar, and I like to run away from reality.”

“Interesting answer from an interesting person. Alright Skylar, how do you exactly run away from reality?” I was actually disappointed when he stuffed his hands down his pockets instead of slipping them into mine. I could still feel how soft his hands were during Prom. Could I get any creepier?

“I write and read. What about yourself?” I said simply. I was usually more talkative than this but I guess what Wes and Cassandra did to me just pulled me back into my shell again.

“I’m a science and philosophy person. I guess you want to be a writer then?” I nodded,

“Exactly. I want to change the world with my words and the lives of young readers like my favourite authors did with my life.” I let out a dreamy sigh. I noticed Dylan staring at me.

“What are you looking at? Have I got something on my face?” I began consciously checking my face for anything out of the ordinary. He shook his head in amusement and took my hands away from my face,

“There’s nothing wrong with your face. It’s just that talking about writing, your passion, was the only thing that made you show any emotion the entire date today. You look even more lovely than usual when your face lit up and I even saw a smile when you started talking about writing.” He explained.

“I’m sorry I’m being such a bad date.” I felt the need to apologise, he’s been so nice to me ever since he picked me up and I was being an asshat. 

“Nah, it’s fine. You’re not a bad date, I guess it’s the too calm atmosphere.” He held onto my hand and started running, “Let’s get out of here and do something fun.” So we ran off from the park, it felt refreshing with the wind in my face. I actually did something I hadn’t done in the past two weeks, I laughed. The entire way to our destination. Dylan was great company. Soon enough we stopped in front of a huge mansion. I nudged Dylan,

“What are we going to do? Rob the place?” I joked. A butler who came forth to greet us then cut me off,

“Master Stauss, would you like me to set up tea for you and your lady friend here?” he asked, in the most British accent I’ve heard. He was more British than I was.

“It’s fine, Martin but if we do need anything, we’ll help ourselves to it. Mother and Father aren’t home are they?” The butler shook his head no and left. That’s when I realized that Dylan had a tinge of an English accent. I was still staring at the house and Martin walking back in with my jaw gaping. I honestly couldn’t believe that Dylan lived here. I mean he seems like an average guy not a guy who owns a mansion.