Dead to Rights

<edited>

"Hey, sorry I'm late." Oliver tells me walking over to me.

"No, it's fine. I just got here." I tell him and fix my shoe and stand up straight.

"Wow." He tells me and I roll my eyes. "We should go inside." He tells me as he kisses me and I lean up against the wall.

"Yeah." I say and kiss him again. "We don't seem to be going inside." I tell him with a smile and he kisses me.

"Come on." He tells me and takes my hand and we head over to the door. We knock and Tommy opens it. "Happy birthday, buddy." He says and they hug.

"Thank you. Um, oh, this feels like a chateaupneuf-du-pape." Tommy tells him and I laugh.

"It's gonna taste like one, too." Ollie tells him.

"You are a true friend." Tommy says and moves towards me as I close the door. "Thanks for coming." He says and kisses my cheek and hugs me. "So.. did you two come together?" He asks us as we walk down the hall.

"Yeah." Oliver says as we turn to the corner and see Laurel there setting the table.

"Ollie, hi." Laurel says and hugs him and turns to me. "Hey, Em." She says and hugs me.

"Hi, haven't seen you in a little while." I say and pull away.

"I'm gonna go crack this open." Tommy says leaving.

"Come on in." She tells us and leads us into the room.

"Oh, she's so young here." I say holding a picture frame of Sarah and Quinten.

   "I don't know why my father bought her that canary. It chriped day and night." Laurel tells me and I smile.

  "I wish I could've known you guys when you were kids." I tell her and she smiles.

  "A toast." Tommy says walking in Ollie hands me a glass and Tommy hands Laurel hers. "To the first birthday that I have enjoyed in a long time. I got my bestfriend back. And I finally figured out why poets have been in business for the last few thousand years." He says looking at Laurel and I smile at how cute they are.

    "Happy birthday, baby."

   "Thank you." Tommy says and they kiss. "Cheers." He says and we all tap glasses and take a sip.

   "I think that's the food." Laurel says walking towards the door when she hears a knock.

   "Okay."

   "Oh, thank god, she didn't cook." Oliver says and I laugh and slap his arm.

   "Amen." Tommy says and I smile again. That is until Laurel comes back with Malcolm Merlyn.

   "Oliver." He says.

   "Mr. Merlyn."

   "I don't think we've met." He tells me holding out a hand.

   "Emmaline." I say and shake his hand begrudgingly. I've only been friends with your son for years. I think to myself but smile anyways.

   "I've been trying to get in touch with you." He says to Tommy.

   "What are you doing here, dad?" Tommy asks him.

   "Happy birthday, Tommy." He says holding up a present box.

   "Just give us a second." Tommy tells us and I nod.

   "Of course." Laurel says and they walk away and Malcolm passes Oliver the present.