Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Rift (Jasmine IV)

"Do you hear that?" I asked as I heard voices being raised. I went to the door, but it wouldn't open. I started banging and screaming. I could hear Shawn and Lisa fighting someone. They were in danger and it was my fault again. Imhotep came by my side and also started banging.

"It's no use, Lillith must be controlling it somehow," he said.

"I can't just stay here and let them die. Don't you have a power that can work?"

"I manipulate probabilities," he said summoning his sword. He slashed the broadsword at the door, but nothing happened.

"Why isn't it working?" I asked as I tried to keep my voice steady, but it betrayed me and came out nervous and loud. My eyes swell with tears. I started cursing at myself for allowing this to happen.

Imhotep kept striking the door with his sword and without it, he would make gestures towards it. "It would seem that she nullified my powers with this suit.

"And we can't take it off you without you exploding." I summoned my whip sword and whipped it at the door The blade shaped and elongated into a whip that struck the door. I pulled back as a sparkle floated away from the door. It started to grow into a figure. A tall male and the yellow started to turn into a myriad of colors. Within seconds that spark was now Charlie.

Charlie looked at me with confusion. I realized what this Charlie was. He was a photon-based lifeform that I created. No, that the fallen angel, the demon inside me created. I don't know how much of that I believed anymore. Using the powers? Was that God's will? I still believe that we can get through this. God wouldn't put us in a situation where we can't handle. But, God didn't put us in this, did he? I was the one who decided to help Imhotep. I was the one who decided to send the warriors off to interrogate the others, leaving my scholars alone. Now they were being attacked. everything has been my decision. Yes, I felt as if I was doing God's will, but was I really? Was I really listening to God? Would he listen with a fallen angel in me?

Holographic Charlie wandered around the room. Touching everything and examining it like a child.

"Heqet could create living illusions, Jasmine," Imhotep said. "Her illusions were able to think for themselves, but they are still babies when created. No matter their form. He can understand and speak. He may even be able to use some of the skills and memories of the real Charlie, but he is still a child."

I noticed that he paused. "What is it?"

"I know you think your power is a curse because of Heqet residing in you. She was rarely able to create a lifeform that was permanent."

"Are you saying that this Charlie will die?"

"Yes, Her ability creates limited lifespans before they faded away. There were times where she did create more lifeforms with longer lifespans.That's why the ancient Egyptians consider her the fertility goddess. She would create some of the more permanent lifeforms in barren women."

I thought about Heqet and the burden that must have been on her. Then I pushed it away. She broke the rules by becoming a false god. Although Imhotep said she was one of the few who didn't receive the termination until later. I wondered for the first time if fallen angels were demons. Maybe, fallen angels were different and maybe they could regret their choices. If Heqet was inside of me, she wasn't trying to take over. She could of by now. She was helping me.

Fake Charlie came up to me and stared into my eyes. He was handsome and I never thought about Chalie like that before. I started thinking about all my decisions. All the suggestions that I made. I realized that I could have been more sympathetic. I could have been more uplifting with those suggestions. I basically called Shawn fat and although I offered to work out with him, I realize that I didn't take into account why he became fat. I told him to fix it. Same with Charlie. I wanted him to grow fast in his biblical walk, but that wasn't fair of me. Lisa was angry at me for getting us into this life and death situation. Bruce was being more aloof than before. All of it was my fault. I was being stubborn. Worse, I started feeling like I failed God. I wasn't being as loving as I could be. I wasn't making decisions logically. I thought about Proverbs verse in which God said a fool will believe anything, but smart people watched their step.

"Charlie said he could create and manipulate paths before he left. Doors are part of paths. I wonder if this Charlie can do that?"

"Her illusions could copy the abilities of individuals she is cloning. They use your energy though. If you created an illusion of an enemy that was stronger than you, like Lillith, the copy wouldn't be as strong."

"My energy?"

"Your very life force. Each time Heqet would create any lifeform, it took a small piece of her life force. She recovers it once that lifeform is dead."

I never took my eyes off fake Charlie as I listened to Imhotep. "Did they listen to her?"

"Sometimes, they had their own wills, especially clones."

"I guess we'll have to try," I paused. "Charlie create a door to the other side."

Fake Charlie looked at the wall. Nodded his head and twin daggers appeared in his hands. He went to the wall and inserted one of the daggers like a key. Green energy poured from the dagger and a door projection appeared. A rift through the steel doors

"It worked." Imhotep said in amazement."

Fake Charlie motioned for me to go through the door and I ran through to help my friends.