Bonus #2

Melona

   My first task was to learn to loom, knit, and crochet. A requirement of being self sufficient more important them all else. Being able to make your own clothing in the freezing and wet environment is crucial not only to your own survival, but that of the whole camp. It was part of the Matka’s job to take care of those who could not afford to care for themselves.

   There was already a seamstress tent that sell clothing for coin, it was our job to cloth the poor, and house the homeless. In turn the rest of the camp would bring necessary items to us in order to keep alive the woman that care for the whole of their society.

   So the next few days was just sitting and becoming familiar with the tools of my new trade. Learning to weave the string in and amount each other. Slowly learning how not to tangle and make things complicated.

   “You are doing rather well for your first time, child”, the eldest female musses as she checks the spacing of the strings.

   “Slow and steady wins the race”, I smile as I smooth out my work so far settled in my lap. A small sheet of creamy beige lay out in a thin strip. It could barely be used as a wash cloth, but I wanted to keep it forever as I admired the first thing I had ever made on my own.

   “Indeed”, she nods as she watches me.

   “Is there something wrong with me?”, I ask meeting her gaze.

   “What makes you think that?”, she hums.

   “You look at me as if I have dirty on my face”, I try to explain. “Like you find fault in what you see.”

   “I do not find fault, you simply confuse me. Children of your age are off getting into whatever trouble they can to outrun their fate. You run towards it. You seem to embrace it, you cloak yourself in it’s comfort and try to bend yourself to it’s will”, she says and I look down.

   “When you say it like that I sound like a push over”, my voice faltering as shame creeps in. “I just. . . I don’t see the benefit in being selfish. I was born into this role, and people rely on me. They hope in me, and as much as I hate it, as much as it means I don’t get a choice, I still don’t want to be the reason for other people suffering.”

   “. . . You are far too old for your age”, she states.

   “I know”, I sigh and try to go back to work.

   “The lord took notice of you”, she hums to me.

   “Took notice?”, I ask for clarification.

   “If he did not he simply would have had you trained brutally in hopes that you would have given up. He’s given you a chance to prove yourself to him. If he thinks you are worth the wait, I would try my best not to disappoint him if I were you”, she explains.

   I smile softly and nod.

  “I hope I can prove myself worthy of his time and energy, but he seems pretty set in his way”, I laugh as I work. “Thou a culture as old as your own I can understand the need to hold tight to your beliefs. Still, as a female I don’t see their fear in us fighting along side them. Maybe their afraid of us having longer wingspans then us.”

   The Head Matka looks at me with a shock.

   “You are very blunt in your opinions aren’t you”, she says and I nod.

   “I don’t see the power in hiding behind words”, I shrug as I weave and pull the strings tightly together.

   “We do not fear females as our equals. We fear extinction”, answers that gruff rumbling voice of the war lord.

   “That’s a load of Bull and you know it”, I snort and keep working as if I hadn’t heard him come in.

   “You may think what you like on it, it doesn’t stop the truth of it”, he brushes my statement off and looks to the Matka. “The House of Rement calls for aid. His wife has gone into labour.”

   Without a lick of nerve or shock she nods and stands.

   “Come Melona. Make yourself useful and help me gather what is needed”, she says already gathering fresh clothes and bottles of tonic.

   “I . . .I’ve never witnessed a birth before”, I pause as I slowly stand a little out of sorts.

   “Well consider this your first. Go and collect Bess. She was asigned to House Rement’s district. She is familiar with the lady, and will provide comfort. You will assist her and myself”, she orders and I nod before going off to find Bess.

~

   Devlon had gone back to the stone house. One of the few richer families of the camp with permanent residence. The fire blazed in the common room where the two males stood discussing matters as servants rushed about while their Mistress lay up in her bed. Screaming as if being split apart. Though I suppose in a way she was.

   The Head Matka calmly started organizing the chaos. Everybody having a task. Mine being with Nasir, the Head Matka. At the birthing end of the woman. She was to stand by my side and helped me work my hands to catch and cradle the new born properly. After I was to clean and wrap the faeling before handing it to the mother.

   Bess stayed with the Mistress to help her though the pain. Giving tonic and softly spoken words as the female barked in pain. Crying as she worked her child into this world.

   Gore and blood was no stranger to me, but it was still a very unpleasant sight to recall.

   But the child was born with little distress and was cut loose before handed to me. Nasir relaying instruction on how to properly hold the babe’s head and back as to not harm the tiny paper thing wings.

   The first child I had helped bring into this world. And he was absolutely beautiful despite the blood.

   It wasn’t until I had ever so gently lay him into a blanket on his belly that a problem was spotted.

   “Oh dear”, Nasir breaths as Bess comes to help with the problem.

   I don’t seem to understand what the matter was until Devlon and the Master of the house come up to see the child.

   “Clean the child and bundle it in warm cloth. It might not be staying here. Put this wrapped cloth between it’s wings and lay an extra to protect them. Lay his chest to yours while carrying him”, Nasir instructs before she and Bess go to deliver the news to the parents.

   Devlon coming to my side and peers over at the clumped and deformed wings. His face waning but he doesn’t say a word as the mother lays in bed and looks to her husband.

   “We already have two boys. A wingless warrior would disgrace this family”, the wife said and my heart stopped at the words. At what I was hearing.

   This darling baby boy would be so easily thrown away because he would someday not be able to fly. This quiet babe who lay sleeping. Not even making a sound as he was birthed. Contently slumbering in the warmth of the blankets and cloth I washed him with.

   They would get rid of him for something he clearly had no control over.

   “Agreed. Send it to the midwives to tend to and send to the pits. If it lives I do not want it in my house”, the male answers to the two Matka.

   “All that hard work and to be given something so worthless”, the mother huffs. “All well, I suppose we can only be blessed so much.”

   Mother give me strength.

   Desperately I look up at Devlon and for the first time his eyes soften for me. His wing only ever so slightly reaching out to me as he places his hand on my back.

   Not even he had control over this decision.

   My breath shaky I finish cleaning and swaddling the faeling into it’s deep green blanket that the Matka had brought for it. Lifting him up to my chest where he easily lay his rounded ear over my chest. Nuzzling as I brushed the soft black tuffs of curl. Holding it close and place a soft kiss to his head.

   “Hello there little one. Welcome to the land of the living”, I breath as tears choked me. “I know it’s a big world out there, and life will not be kind, but you’re going to be just fine. You’re a strong baby boy. Yes you are.”   

   I receive tender coos from the wriggling creature that could barely lift his own head.

   “Come child, let us take it to the midwives”, Nasir sighs but Devlon puts a hand out to stop her.

   “You do your job and attend to the Mistress. I will be sure the faeling is brought to the midwives”, he states.

   Nasir agrees and go back to assist Bess with the female. Devlon gesturing for me to follow. Keeping the babe to my chest I share a disapproving glance at the female who had given him up so easily. She only proudly lifts her head and turns to Bess to demand a drink.

   As we leave the boy starts to cry at the sudden bite of cold. Harsh hiccupping sobs wreaked the tiny shivering body as I wriggled out of my own coat and shielded him with it.

   “Oh I know little one. It is awfully cold. You’ll be alright. I am here, you have nothing to worry about”, I coo and bounce him softly. His tiny head lay over my chest.

   Devlon watching me silently as we keep pace.  

   “You are used to being around youth?”, he asks astonished at how quickly the faeling quieted.

   “Many would send their children to the temples in my Court to give their children a better chance at life. Somewhere they could be clothed, and schooled. I felt the best when caring for them”, I smile. “Thou I have never witnessed the birth of a child, or helped in the process until today. . . I’ve never seen anyone give up their child to live on the streets simply because of the way he was born. He’s a baby, it isn’t his fault. And you don’t need to have wings to be a good soldier.”

   “Illyrian wings are our pride and joy. It is dishonorable to have such a child”, he states.

   “Well, you’re wrong”, I state firmly and lean in the kiss the top of the babe’s black tuffs. “You’re going to be one of the best. You’re going to be a remarkable warrior. No doubt in my heart little one.”

   “He will have his chance as everyone else to prove it”, Devlon nods. “But I would not suggest attaching yourself to it. It will most likely not survive past it’s fifth year, and you will not be here to coddle it.”

   “I do not plane on leaving”, I tell him.

   “Only if I deem you worthy as agreed”, he points out.

   “It’s not really fair if you have already made up your mind about it.”

   He looks down at me. Assesing my every move. Every breath under scruteiny.

   “I don’t expect you put your life on hold every day from me. Just once a week for a few hours”, I offer.

   “Do you really think you’ll be able to study, train in combat, and be a mother?”, he asks with a raised brow.

   “That is what I have done in my own Court the past ten years. I don’t see how now would be any different”, I raise my chin a bit.

   “You. . . you already know how to fight?”, he asks.

   “I was taught by the Peregryn soldiers of the Dawn Court, yes.”

   “Then why waste your time in coming here?”

   “I’m not wasting time. I’m taking the time I have before I am forced to bare the weight of the world. I’m sure you can understand that. There must have been a time in your life where you did not look forward to the role you’re playing.”

   “I suppose. . .But why here?”

   “Rhysand said it would be the best, that you were more tolerable then most, and I might fit here easier.”

   “Why learn to fight at all?”

   “Well, as a royal there is the whole being assasinated bit. . . I also do not like being helpless. I don’t like the idea of being dependent on others to take care of me. I don’t want to be a burden”, I sigh and keep placing kisses on the top of the boys head when he trills or squirms.

   “I can’t wait to have my own”, I smile sadly. “I almost wish I could keep this one.”

   “You could. If you where to stay.”

   “How about we get through these next couple of weeks first. If you let me stay. If the Mother wills it. I would gladly care for this wee darling as my own”, I beam as we walk together through the rows of tents. Devlon finally stopping before one to open the larger tent flaps.

   Several woman worked together as the Matka did to care for several street children. Most of them girls, and the odd boy.

   “My lord, what can we do for you?”, one of the females asks while caring for a suckling babe tucked in her arms.

   “We have found a new born with deformed wings. I ask that you care for it for the next three weeks. If all fairs well it will not burden you for long. I am making arrangements for it”, Devlon commanded and the female did not question him.

   “Are you the mother?”, she asks as she passes the babe in her arms into a basket and reaches for the faeling sleeping soundly in my arms.

   “No”, I answer softly and hesitate to hand him over. Looking up at Devlon for some sort of comfort.

   “He will be safe here”, is all he gives me and I force myself to be parted from him.

   “Does he have a name?”, she asks while taking him soundly as he begins to struggle.

   “He does n-”

   “Caden”, I interrupt. “His name is Caden.”