Chapter 1

Melona

   I don't blame my father for locking me away when the High Lord of Autumn suggested we bind our two Courts through marriage. Not after what happened between Eris and Morrigan, and the horror's that happened after.
   I edmire the female for her courage, for being brave enough to choose her own path in life. For putting herself first, but I do not have that luxery. My courage would have to come from facing my fears head on. No matter the fate laid before me.
   "This isn't fair", Thesan snarls as he grips at the marbel railing looking over the mountain city so tightly his knuckles turn white. I almost worries the rock would crumble under the presure of his sharp anger that was so unatural to his morning light nature.
   "Life is rarely fair", I sigh as my green and gold hazel eyes glance up from where I kneel praying at the small alter for the Mother. Fresh rose, whisteria, and lilac flowers adorning the figure of a woman raising the Culdron above her head as she created the world. The marble pail in the morning light. "Especially for females if I am going to be blunt. It is my purpose as a royal female to bring hope into the world through heirs. To bring ease to my people's lives through making strong bonds between courts. That is my purpose and I am at peace with it."
   "It's a pathetic purpose", my elder brother growls in annoyance.
   I stand at that and glare at him. 
   "Don't say that. Don't make my sacrifice sound worthless", I snap at him.
   Turning to look at me his eyes are filled with regret and mourning. "That isn't what I meant Mel. Being a mother is an honnorable life course, and I think with our mother's kindness and father's studdorness you will be a wonderful mother. . . I meant that you shouldn't have to give up your life to someone so cruel. To be seen as nothing but a prized breeding mare. It is discusting."
   Closing my eyes I take a breath and turn to sit at the small table on the balcony. Pouring myself a cup of berry and rosehip tea.
   I would be lying if I didn't edmit I was afraid. Terrified even at the idea of spending the rest of my life with a son of Beron.
   If rumours where anything to go by the male that I am now officially betrothed to is not the kindest of men. Already having the reputation on the battlefield as being not only as brutal and firey as his father in battle, but also cunning. Known to weild word and knowledge as swiftly and easily as any sword. Their is little dought in the minds of many that he will inherit the throne.
   "It is wrong. The way we are treated, but one can only do so much", I grumble and sip my tea.
   Thesan coming to kneel in front of me. Gently taking the cup from my hands in order to hold them in his.
   "Since I can't go with you I brough you two gifts", he tries to smile even though it looks broken with pain.
   My heart lightens a bit at the thought of presents. This might very well be the last time I will get to have anything from my family once I have crossed over the boarder and belong to the Vanserra name.
   He holds up two boxes to me. Choosing the larger of the two darkly stained wood boxes crowned in intracket floral and vine designs growing over the tops and sides. Hoping that it would be something sweet.
   Instead I find a thick brown leather sheith housing a Seraphin dagger. The blade thin, and light, but as sterdy as Illyrian steel. Easily manovered and the weapon I had been trained to use since I was old enough to learn self defence.
   "It terrifies me knowing that I can't come with you. That I can't be there to protect you, even if I know you could probably hand battle far better then I ever have", he breaths. "I can't let you leave without knowing you have some way to protect yourself. . . or end it all, if there is no other way out. I will pray and beg that it doesn't come to that, but you deserve that right."
   The idea that things could get so bad that taking my own life would seem the best option scares me, but it is a possibility. After looking over the blade I sheith it and place it back in the box.
    "Thank you big brother", I hum. He nods and offers up the smaller box.
   On ope ing this one I find lain amungst the sage green velvet a golden locket. The surface engraved with the picture of a single honey bee. The nickname my parents gave me when I was a child, and having no fear of the creatures. Easily flittering and dancing with the swarm as if I was simply another drone. The name still sticks. Even after my mother's passing.
    "Thes, it's beautiful", I murmur with tears stinging my eyes.
    "I made it myself, well, with help of course. But I had it spelled to play music", he beams proudly and opens it so that the breaking dawn is filled with the song our mother sang to us while still in the nursary. The familiar warm tune fluttering like bird songs that let the tears drip down my cheeks. "You'll never have to whined it up. Just open and close it too turn the music on and off."
   Not being able to keep my composure any longer I wrap my arms around my brothers neck. Dropping my face in his shoulders to let myself cry away the fear and dread.
   "Thank you", I gasp through the sobs. "Thank you."
    He doesn't say anything. Just holds me firmly and craddles me a little while. The last day I will have with my family, and all I wanted to do was pray. Beg for the Mother too give me the strength and courage to edure the path fate has geld out before me. Asking that she soften the heart of my future husband, and if that was not possible at least give me the peace of mind to be content.

******

I tried to get this chapter as close to the first one I had writen out. To those who read my first chapter and enjoyed it better. Sorry 😅 Hope that this is similar.
I will try to update as often as I can. This story has been running around in my head for years, but I do have work and other storues I am working on. So this is my pet project.
Thank you for your patients.
- Lady Thyme