Chapter 67

I sped all the short distance home from school that day. I had so much to do. It was Friday night and mum's birthday. I had already baked the cake the night before but I still needed to ice it. Then I had to sear the meat and toss it in the oven. And it all had to be done within the next hour before mum got home from the beauty spa, dad's and my present to her.

Dinner tonight will see the Roberts, Thomsons and the Archibalds making it fifteen people in all. There was a lot of meat to sear.

I hurriedly threw my car into park then flew out across the short distance to the front door. The door opened at my approach. Dad stood aside impatiently waving me in.

"I have to collect the wines and liquor drinks. Is there anything else you need?" He asked me impatiently.

"No, I got all my shopping done yesterday," I called out without a backward glance. I hurried to my room and tossed in my bag then sped downstairs aiming for the kitchen I pulled out the meat first deciding to that first. I brought out two skillets and ignited the fire beneath them then added in a dash of olive oil and tossed the marinated meats on them.

It was a good twenty minutes later when I had the meat in the oven and was getting the icing mix right. I did some curly swirls and stuck on some purchased flower marzipan. I needed at least half an hour to decorate the cake and then I could speed upstairs to shower and get ready. I had much planned for this evening and the last thing I needed was any hiccups in my plans. Mum's birthday bash had been planned well before their trip away and the dress I am about to wear had also been purchased way back then... with Billy in mind.

I had an intention of driving Billy wild with this dress. It had been pure fantasy in the past but now... now that I know how he felt... it had every chance of success.

I went to my closet space and flicked through the clothes hanging at back. The material was a soft clingy sort. An off shoulder bustier that made the most of my assets. In a pale shade of pink it made the soft glow in my skin stand out. At least that was the intention. Cheryl who had accompanied me in this purchase had put it all a little less delicately.

"It will freaking bring out some colour in your cheeks and then there that eyeful there as well," she had said her eyes dropping to stare pointedly at the said eyeful.

I shook out that dress now shaking my head at my at the daringly low bodice. Forget mesmerising Billy for the moment the greater problem would have to be me facing mum and dad in this.

What had I been thinking?

I tossed the dress on the bed behind me and went to look for something that could cover my bossom to some degree of respectability.

Finding a white cardigan that still looked white I pulled it out and decided it would do.

I was applying my make up when mum shouted out from downstairs that she was home. I moved quickly to the door and swept it open eager to see how her trip to the spa had faired but instead I encountered the dark and sexy gaze of Billy.

The Roberts was here and they were early.

"Come on in," I said pleasantly opening the door wider to let him in. I swept aside to give him room to maneuver in and then stepped on out myself.

"I'll be right back," I said before hurrying out downstairs.