Chapter 9

I woke up to the shrill sound of Billy's alarm. My eyes shot open as event of last night sprang to mind. I bolted upright and shot out of bed before you could say..Billy.

I ran to my room pulled open my door then slammed myself in. I was still there and still shaking when I heard Billy's slow gait amble pass a good while later. Then like a as if struck by a lightening I jolted into action and ran to get ready for the day. It wasn't long before I was hurrying to the kitchen where I studiously avoided looking at Billy and dashed about preparing my toast.

I sat on the kitchen bench and tucked into my meal. Then Aunt Sally spoke," I'll need to use your car again Lilly. Billy will give you a ride this morning."

I cringed.

"I'll walk!" I burst out unable to contemplate a ride in the car with him especially after last night.

"Don't be silly Lilly. Billy will take you. You should have woken earlier if you wanted to walk. Now hurry up you two," Aunt Sally paced about the kitchen cleaning up and then after a bustle of activity she was gone. I kept my eyes away from him. I let my senses work on overdrive to locate and pin point his exact location at all times so it was a shock when he suddenly spoke up behind me.

"Ready to go?"

I did my gold fish imitation before hurrying out of the kitchen to the car with my bag in tow.

The trip to school was markedly silent. Both of us were at liss for words. I spent the whole way second guessing him. I was conscious of the most ptessing need for some reassurance that last night had really happened and more importantly that Billy was not turned off by my..my...by me.

But we arrived at school in silence and then after an awkward pause we both turned away to head off towards our individual circle of friends. Its not as if we had many friends but those we had mattered.

"Cheryl!" I called out to her spotting her spying on the new teacher, Claude. Boy did I have a tale to tell her about him.