Chapter XIX

Chapter XIX

      Marc turned in exasperation at yet another girl who was strolling toward us with a confident smile, I had to admit she was attractive but it was annoying how much these people were taking this seriously. Even the girls that sat at our lunch table were getting irritated by the constant interruptions of our conversations. It was even more embarrassing that Gina was sitting a few chairs down, watching everything play out.

      “Can you take a hint already, we’re having lunch,” Marc snapped, voicing his frustration.

     I saw the girl’s face crumple out of the corner of my eye, Marc wasn’t being mean, he was just echoing the thoughts of everyone at the table. It wasn’t easy being humiliated at a ‘prestigious’ lunch table and pretty soon it’s be swirling through the grapevines and whatever reputation she had was ruined.

      “Wait,” I called at the last moment possible. I winced at the obvious glimmer of hope within her eyes. “I’m sorry, we’re just really tired. No hard feelings?” I asked, hoping to play it off as if we were chums.

      The hopeful glint was still in her eyes as she smiled widely at me. “No hard feelings. “

     Marc turned to gaze at me in disbelief as the girl walked away, head held high. “And you wonder why they’ll never stop. It’s a wonder everyone doesn’t walk all over you.”

    The table fell into a strange silence as someone coughed, trying to deter the awkwardness now settling between us. I was grateful for a friend like Marc whose bluntness straightened me out easily.

     A member of the swim team met my gaze and I could see he was ready to defend me, I sighed briefly, looking down at my half-eaten meal. “But, who’d walk over the star athlete, right?” he asked, gaining a few nods and agreements here and there.

    I smiled fleetingly at the cult-like loyalty these people were showing. I looked up to see Gina staring at me, my smile instantly fell and I felt as if my brain could no longer process anything else. Before our break-up all I’d been able to think about was everything that made us so wrong for each other. But, now all I could think about what a good sense of humor she had and how fun-loving she was and…

     I flinched as someone slammed a book on the table beside me, breaking me from my reverie. I looked up, startled to see Avery’s ombre colored eyes burning holes into mine. Marc, the traitor, was ignoring the whole thing not even bothering to try and help or something. I turned back just in turned back just in time to hear Avery demand that the girl closest to me scoot over and let her sit.

    Noteworthy it was that Gina, although not saying anything, had her eyes trained on our faces. And to make things worst Avery casually grabbed my drink and took a long swig. Everyone looked thoroughly surprised and concerned about relationship. As far as they knew, no one drank from my bottle; it was ‘sacred’ or something. Marc on the other hand snorted which led me to bite my lip to hide my amusement.

    Avery ran her finger over the cover of my drink, clearly enjoying herself, I couldn’t help but be amused, everyone was aghast, staring unhinged at the intruder. Avery though, was completely flippant and almost oblivious to the tension surrounding us all.

   Finally, she looked up and gave me half a smile and for a moment I forgot I was angry with her. “Are you ready to listen now?”

    I smiled widely at her. “Nope, I’m not.”

  Avery ran a hand over her tattered text book while narrowing her eyes at me. He smile altered into a wicked one and I smiled innocently in return. As much as she was accustomed to winning it wouldn’t be today. It was also easy to ignore everyone’s gaze when her eyes were so fierce and probing.