12.00

LUKE COMES RUNNING out of his house, checking behind him at least five times before he gets to me. He said that he was in trouble, and my guess was that if his mom caught him sneaking out again, the trouble would only worsen. But I couldn't care less because he just abandoned me in the hedges without a second thought.

       "Lucy went to go meet some guy a little while ago, hence her being gone. And I left you there because there was no way you could have made it all the way to my car with your ankle. I ran to get the cop off your back, okay? I lost him but I couldn't loop back around because their was an entire squad of cars blocking the road to where you were hiding. I didn't want to leave you there, I promise I was going to come back to take you to the hospital, but I couldn't because of my mom. She wouldn't let me leave and she literally just fell asleep which is why I went into Lucy's room when you started throwing rocks. No way I want her waking up again." Luke babbles, kneeling down in front of me and pulling at my leg so that it rests on his thigh. 

           "Careful," I hiss, wincing when Luke wraps his fingers around my ankle and turns it side to side.

        "No hospital?" He asks again, frowning. I shake my head and he bites his lip, nodding. "I don't think it's broken, you just twisted it really badly and falling on it didn't help-"

        "Neither did limping all the way home." My voice is sharp and angry and I don't feel the slightest bit of guilt when he flashes me a hurt look. He and his excuses could go fuck themselves, I didn’t believe a word of them. I didn’t know if Lucy was out with Calum or someone else but whatever the case, I didn’t know how to feel about it. On the one hand, I wanted her to be home because she was my best friend and everything in my life was falling apart and I knew she could make everything just seem...better somehow. But on the other hand, if I did get her to come down to talk to me, I wouldn’t know how to explain my broken ankle and I still didn’t know if she bought my story from earlier. I had already sobered up for the most part, and now was when I was beginning to realize just how dumb of a story it really was. Hopefully she was too phased from sleep to think anything of it.

      “I told you that I was sorry, God Cohen, would you just cool it already?” He growls, grasping at my arms. “I’m bringing you inside so I can wrap your ankle and put some ice on it.”

         “My mom’s going to notice that I was never in my bed.” I reply, turning away from Luke when he tries to lift me up off the ground.

      “Well whatever she told you to make you want to get drunk, it’ll make for a really great excuse. If she asks, just tell her you couldn’t be around her with everything going on and you just slept over at our house with Lucy. Now stop fighting and come on before my mum wakes up,” Luke mumbles, tugging my body off of the grass and pressing me against his chest once he manages to scoop me up.  

      “Nothing is even going on,” I reply, not liking how Luke thought he knew me so well. I slump against his arms to make myself as heavy as possible and smirk when he groans, tightening his grip.

         “You’re so fucking annoying,” He sighs, shaking his head.

         “Thanks, why don’t you get someone else to write your college apps for you, then?” I try hopefully, knowing that my request is a shot in the dark. But God, I just wanted to be done with this already.

        “Nice try,” He chides, pushing the door to his house open with his backside. The side door slowly creaks to a shut and Luke flinches, snapping his head towards the living room. Upon further inspection, I see a lump on the couch, a body engulfed by blankets. His mother. Her body was rising and falling steadily, a light snore tumbling  through her lips. Part of me wanted to wake her up just to spite Luke after what he did to me. The other part of me, the rational part, knew that if I did so, it wouldn't take very long for her to realize that Lucy was gone. So for Lucy's sake, I kept my mouth shut.