41.00

SENIOR YEAR HAD BEEN going by rather quickly. It seemed that as if in the blink of an eye, a month and half of our lives, of our final year in high school, had already passed us by.

With it went my birthday and the All Time Low concert (to which Ashton was thrilled to be the holder of the third ticket). Luke had begun to tolerate Ashton, and they had even bonded over their shared love for music; Ashton with his drums, Luke with his guitar, and the at least ten bands they both loved to death. The concert was incredible, and I loved every second of it not only because I got to see two of my favorite bands live (bless opening acts who you already love), but I also got two of my favorite people to you know, not hate each other. There might have even been a potential friendship going on, but, that could have been pushing it. Lucy had gotten me a decorative kit for my typewriter, along with a pack of cartridges so full I think I might have been set for life on ink. Since that didn't seem to be enough of a present for me, she threw in a Brown University sweater that was extremely comfortable and big enough to fit me like a dress, and a new bed set she told me I could put on my bed once I got a dorm at Brown. I didn't have the heart to tell her what was still going on, and so I acted like I would use the comforter this upcoming fall. Never in my life had I wanted to use a bed set more than I had in that moment.

Now I was in another one of the gazillion department stores Lucy and I had visited today, trying albeit failing to find the perfect prom dress. I had lost count of how many stores we had been to in the past week, but, if one thing was for sure, it was that the two of us were incredibly hard to please. This day was supposed to be special and important, one of the best nights of our lives, but dress shopping was making that near to impossible.

I didn't really care about it all that much in the beginning but then Lucy started to tell me that it was a good distraction from what was going on at home, and that in the future, were I to have kids, I could tell them about the perfect night and the perfect dress and I could take them dress shopping one day and oh, how could this not be the biggest deal of my life right now?

Lucy was pretty good at convincing people that they wanted certain things they didn't really want, and getting so deep into their minds that they would experience a serious life changing epiphany by the time she was finished. That being said, I was putting a lot of faith in her when she told me that she was actively planning "the best plan of all plans in the history of plans to get your parents back together". I wasn't sure if it could really get them back together or not, but I hoped it could.

"Kendall oh my God, I think I've got it!" Lucy screeches, running towards me in her tall, black, strappy shoes with a gorgeous dress in her grasp.

"Your prom dress?" I ask, happy to see her satisfied with a dress after all of our searching. I, on the other hand, had no such luck.

"No, yours." She breathes, ecstatic as she shoves it towards my face. Lucy looks beyond happy, like this is the best moment of her life even though she was still currently dress less, and prom was right around the corner. "Just look at it, Kens! It's the most you dress I've ever seen in my entire life." Her voice sounds awe stricken and she is holding it at an angle, blue eyes sparkling as they search for my approval.

"It really is beautiful," I say quietly, biting my lip as I run my fingers over the dress. From the top of my breasts down to the mid thigh everything is concealed in a magenta colored fabric, with stripes of curved lines looping around each other in several different colors. They are yellow, orange, dark green, and even one red, which sound like a terrible combination but on this dress it somehow seems to work. They aren't just curved lines but it looks more like paint, like someone has personally drawn these colored lines with a careful hand and the swipe of a paintbrush. Above the breast area, up to my collarbones and down to the center of my forearms is a clear black mesh with black, yellow, pink, white polka dots scattered about. I am completely and utterly in love with the dress and I know in this very moment that every other dress will pale in comparison. "Lucy, this dress is perfect."