36.00

"HERE'S YOUR FUCKING tape for your stupid bucket. You forgot it over there, along with forgetting to tell me that you two were fucking behind my back this entire time." Lucy yells through gritted teeth, shaking her head and holding up her hand, fingers pressing together out of frustration. "I knew it, I knew it but you told me that it wasn't true so I believed you. God, I should have never believed you. What else are you keeping from me, huh?" She continues, anger boiling over as she glares at me.

"Lucy, I wanted to tell you, it just never seemed like the right time-" I start, but she cuts me off, rolling her eyes.

"Right. Because when exactly is it the right time for your best friend to tell you that she's hooking up with your brother? And how about you, Luke? You didn't think to tell me either?" She redirects her anger, blue eyes widening and brows rising as she yells at Luke.

"Lu, please, you're overreacting-"

"Overreacting!" She repeats, laughing bitterly. "Yeah, okay. The two people in my life who I trust the most, who I'm supposed to look to for support have been lying to me for God knows how long. You are not supposed to be together, okay? Kendall is my friend and Luke is my brother and the fact that you felt it okay to just sneak behind my back after everything is just fucking great. You couldn't even keep it together when I'm what, twenty feet away? Was the need to swap spit just so great that you couldn't wait a few hours until stupid little Lucy was out of sight? This is honestly unbelievable," Lucy says, dropping the masking tape and letting it slam down onto the ground and roll across the wooden floor.

"We're not together for the sake of hurting you-" I try to reason with her, at the same time that Luke tells her to calm down and just listen. If there was an award for making people angry and saying the worst things at the worst possible times, Luke would win it hands down. Because when Lucy was angry, the last thing she wanted to be told was to be less angry.

"How stupid do you two think I am? Like, was it fun for you to sneak behind my back and be like, 'oh, she's so dumb, let's wait how long it takes her to figure it out'. And Luke, honestly, out of every girl in this town, why did you have to choose her? She's my best friend, and there are plenty of other people for you to have sex with. She shouldn't be one of them." She says, shaking her head and biting down on her lip, looking completely disappointed.

"It's not even like that, Lucy. I genuinely like her, okay? I'm not with her to spite you or because I'm bored or because I ran out of other people or whatever else is going through your mind. I like her, a lot. And I want you to be okay with that. I get that we should have told you, but with everything going on, it took us long enough to admit how we feel, let alone admit it to you."

"But this is just not something that's supposed to happen. Kendall is my best friend, you can't just take her awa-"

"I'm not taking her away, Lu. She's still your best friend. But she's also my girlfriend." Luke says softly, frowning as he tries to ease Lucy's anger.

"You should have told me." She says in a hard voice, arms crossed over my chest. "You just don't understand. Besides Calum, you two are the only people who I really have. And you being together is, intentionally or not, like an isolation. Like you're cancelling me out, especially because you didn't tell me. And so what if you break up? What then? Am I supposed to be a good sister and never talk to Kendall again? Or be mad at my brother, for breaking my best friend's heart?"

"Lucy, this is not an isolation. Neither of us are trying to cancel you out, honestly, we have no intention of doing that to you. You are so, so important to me and I would never in a million years want to do anything to hurt you or hurt our friendship. It's not like I chose to have feelings for Luke or did it because I wanted to hurt you. It's just something that happened."