6.00

"Two sets of fries, one burger, and two chocolate milkshakes. If you need anything else, just give me a call," Reba says, breathing heavily as she sets the dishes down at our booth. It was getting late, which meant the diner was getting busier. Reba was a great waitress, but even the best of the best didn't usually work as efficiently under pressure. It also didn't help that most people were incredibly impatient, and didn't react well when their order got mixed up or completely forgotten. I didn't find it hard to be kind to the waiters, since they were already under enough stress and clientele didn't need to make it worse.

     "Thanks," I say, curling my lips around the straw as Luke nods, smirking. "What are you smirking at? And do you have like, some kind of condition where you have to constantly do that thing with your lips? It's annoying." I mutter after wiping my lip, rolling my eyes.

      "Me smiling is annoying you?" He snorts and tosses a fry into his mouth, even his chewing seeming to mock me. Everything he did was sarcastic and it was annoying. Very, very annoying.

     "You're not smiling, you're smirking."

      "Whatever. Are you one of those people that drench their french fries in ketchup? Or dip them into the milkshake? You seem like the type to do that. It's weird, you're weird, makes sense." He says, completely dropping my question. Maybe he just did it more often to annoy me, I don't remember seeing him smirking so often when Lucy was around.

     "Gee, thanks." I say dryly, sipping at the milkshake.

     "Well, are you?" Luke repeats, arching a blonde brown before sinking his teeth into the giant burger in front of him. Luke had really big hands, and the burger was the size of both his hands combined. So basically, it was huge. The diner had an even bigger burger called the Meat Crusher, and just seeing it made me sick to my stomach. If you took half of a football field and rolled it into a ball, that would be about the size of the burger. They paid people to eat it if they could finish it all, if only because they knew no one could ever finish it. Well, they were paid with a lifetime supply of free burgers and cherry malt's but, with that much meat in your system, your lifetime wouldn't be very long at all. Either way, who doesn't like free food?

     My dad tried to eat it once, but he couldn't even get a fourth of it down before he felt like he would throw it up. Watching him eating it, ground beef dribbling down his cheek, it was disgusting. I almost shiver at the thought.

     "Yeah, it tastes good. The milkshake dipping, not ketchup drowning."

      "Hmmm, okay," Luke drawls, puffing out his cheeks. "I'll try it if you try something I give you." He offers, snatching a fry off of my plate even though he had a tray of his own.

     "Get your own fries, Hemmings. And no thanks, no one's forcing you to dip your fries into the milkshake."

      "Okay, let me rephrase that. Taste what I'm going to give you and I'll try your version just for fun, but you have to try mine. And I took yours because they look better."

     "They look exactly the same and are you seriously going to blackmail me for the rest of my life?"

     "Just until you finish the college apps!" He says, grinning the smile that encompasses his entire face. Before I can get another word in, Luke lays the fry down on the table and wraps his finger around the ketchup bottle, popping it open. He squirts the condiment every which way, until you can't even see the french fry anymore. Then he takes the salt shaker and does the same thing.

     "There is no way I'm eating that." I coil away from it, popping a fry coated in chocolate froth instead. They were decidedly more appetizing then whatever Luke was making from across the table. Now he was dropping the milkshake onto it using his straw.