Chapter 11

Reporters follow each girl around, but I felt like I was getting the bulk of the attention. I spent the hours trying to avoid actually getting interviewed and I avoided speaking to the prince unless he approaches me.

Eventually I got dragged into an interview where I decided I'd get a few things off of my chest that I'd been holding in. The interviewers take me to the edge of the room and I stand there while they point multiple cameras at me.

"It's been weeks since we've heard from you Violet." The reporter says.

"Well I've been busy." I shrug and force a smile.

"How's the whole selection experience been?" The reporter asks.

"I've enjoyed it." I say simply without elaborating like I knew I was supposed to. The reporters stare blankly at me.

"We've actually interviewed Dylan a few times since your breakup and I was wondering what your responses were to things that he's said." The reporter says. "He's dares to say that going to the selection so soon after your breakup was exactly something you would do. Recently he's also continued with his story of how you cheated on him, but we haven't gotten a statement from you."

"I've watched the news reports." I begin. "And I've decided I'm going to make a statement of my own now."

The reports seem to wait for me to say it but I wait simply for the anticipation of it all.

"Dylan is a liar." I say looking directly at the camera. "You've heard all his statements about me, but none of it has been true. Dylan is the one who cheated on me. He was the one who broke my heart. He was the one who spent the last few months trashing my name. He is the one who has been wrong this entire time and I plan on ruining him just as he has ruined me."

Every reporter and other person around me seemed surprised. I thought it would be harder to say it, but it wasn't. Not at all.

"That's shocking considering we haven't heard anything even close to that before." The reporter says after he controls his expression.

"You can choose whether or not you believe it, but it's the truth." I shrug.

"That's a very surprising statement, but we have one last question." The reporter decides. "Why did you cut your hair and become a brunette?"

"My hair is naturally brown, but it's been dyed ever since I was twelve and I've decided it's time to start over." I tell him. "From now on, this is me and I will not play anyone else's games."

"That's a very powerful statement, Violet. Hopefully we will be speaking to you again soon." The reporter tells me. I smile and turn to walk away. The cameras still hadn't turned away from me when the prince approaches me again.

I smile when he offers me his hand this time and I take it.

"That was very brave." He tells me quietly so that the cameras couldn't pick it up.

"Thank you." I say softly.

"Will you dance with me?" He asks as he walks me toward the dance floor as if I'd stop him now.

"But it's the first dance? Wouldn't you want to dance with someone else?" I question him.

"Why would I want to dance with somebody else?" He asks completely serious, but with a gentle smile on his lips.

I smile and begin to dance with him. I didn't ask any more questions and I let the cameras watch me, I didn't care. Today, I knew I'd disappointed my mother with my hair and my interview and the way I'd treated the prince, but this one thing was for me.

I dance like I've done it a million times but somehow it felt different. We don't talk throughout the dance because we felt the pressure of the cameras but it didn't make it any less special.

As the dance ends and we slow to a stop, the prince still holds on tightly to my hands and whispers in my ear.

"I like your hair." It was a simple statement, but I couldn't help but smile. I curtesy slightly and walk away with a smile still plastered all over my face. I hated to do what I was doing because I knew this would never work out, but a part of me just wanted the adventure. That same part of me just didn't want to let go— not yet.

I finally sit at a table alone, but I don't look up until I hear someone sit beside of me. I look up and see the queen. I stand to curtesy and sit back down.

"Good afternoon, Lady Violet." She says politely.

"Good afternoon, your majesty." I respond softly.

"I watched your interview just a few minutes ago and I'm surprised." She comments without much context.

"May I ask why?" I ask after realizing she wasn't planning on further explaining.

"I think I've judged you too harshly and I'd like to apologize. I'm afraid I've got us off to a bad start." The queen tells me. I was slightly shocked that she'd even cared to mention it.

"It's alright, your majesty. I've not always built up the reputation I should've. I'm working on fixing it." I tell her honestly.

"We've all been there before, Lady Violet. That's what proves yourself worthy of being royalty, you fix what is broken, even when it isn't your fault." She smiles and stands back up. "I hope you can enjoy the rest of your stay here, however long it is."

I nod with a smile and look down when she walks away. I didn't know what she meant by any of it so I stand and leave. I couldn't stand the cameras in my face any longer.