Chapter 4

The next morning I'm fixed up to absolute perfection to meet the prince for what is supposed to be the first time. My eyeliner was bold and my eyelids painted in gold. My eyebrows were shaped perfectly and my lips were painted in a dusty pink. My dress was better than my one from the day before and sparkles with a blinding gold. My hair was fixed in a messy and curled bun with only a few strands hanging in front of my face.

There was no way I wouldn't stand out to everyone

There was no way I wouldn't stand out to everyone. I didn't care though. I walk out of my room and down to the dining room. There was a short line of girls that slowly went into the dining room as they were announced.

Eventually it was my turn and two guards pulled the doors open and another announced my name and caste to the royal family.

"Lady Violet Morgan, Two." They announce. I curtesy and look up at the royal family. I see the queen whisper something in her husbands ear and eye me warily. I look at the prince who watches me closely, but I couldn't place the emotion on his face.

I walk over to the table and sit beside of the last girl to walk in. I don't talk to anyone at first, but then one girl starts to speak to me.

"My name's Josephine Bentley." Says the girl that sits beside of me. "I'm from Waverly, Two." She says as she states her state and caste.

"Violet Morgan. Angeles, Two." I respond properly. "I believe we met last year." I add as I look up and recognize her.

"Of course. I consider myself the biggest star of the east coast, but the west coast is all yours." She says with a smile. I return the smile, but say nothing.

"Since all of the ladies have arrived, I'm going to begin pulling each of you one by one." Prince Miles says and takes the first girl to a room outside the dining room.

"I heard about you and Dylan." Josephine begins. "I'm sorry. Men can overreact about so much."

I thought about telling her the truth and saying I didn't cheat, that it was him all along. But then I remember every night I would go to his apartment crying and he would do everything to help me and I change my mind. Maybe he never cared about my feelings, but I couldn't imagine not loving him.

"Exactly." I agree softly and sit patiently. Josephine quieted down for a few minutes until eventually she was taken into the common room by the prince.

It was nearly ten minutes before the prince came back into the dining hall and welcomed me into the common area to talk with him.

At first I don't say anything and we both sit down without a word. He watches me for a full minute before speaking.

"You're not acting like you're supposed to." He tells me.

"How exactly am I supposed to act, your highness?" I ask, mockingly. He seems slightly taken aback but recovers quickly.

"You're a Two. You're supposed to be more proper and aware of what you say." He tells me.

"Where did you learn that?" I ask him.

"My mother. She told me the higher the caste, the more privileged and proper a person would be." Prince Miles shrugs.

"Well, your highness, your mother was considered an Eight was she not?" I ask. "What makes you believe that she knows what my life is like? Is it because she is the queen? Because I promise you she isn't all knowing."

I roll my eyes and stand up from the sofa.

"I haven't excused you." He seems surprised that I had the nerve to disrespect him. I stand there without responding just to see if it would bother him. "I've never seen someone who acted this way."

"I'm sorry I've disturbed you." I respond without emotion.

"I'm not disturbed." He responds and stands to face me.

"Then what is your emotion? You wouldn't be complaining about my actions if they had no affect on you." I return and tilt my head slightly so I can look up and make eye contact with him.

"I'm intrigued." He decides after a moment. I simply watch him as he watches me with what I would consider curiosity.

"I'm glad I've interested you." I say simply. "Should I ask to be excused now?"

"Why are you so eager to leave?" He asks me, taking a step forward.

"Unlike you, I'm no longer interested in this conversation." I shrug and turn to leave. Even though he hadn't excused me, I walk out in front of him and head straight to my seat. I look up and I can tell everyone is surprised. The prince had walked every other girl out, but I didn't care.

There were only a few girls left. He went through them quickly and then announced that we would start breakfast.

The food that came out looking as perfect as I'd ever seen it. I could tell some of the girls there had not seen food so sophisticated before.

"How did your meeting with the prince go?" Josephine asks me as she fills her plate with small portions.

"It went well." I say shortly, but then decide she was only trying to prompt me to ask her about her own meeting. "What about you?"

"His mind seemed to be elsewhere." Josephine decided. "But I think he's just overwhelmed."

I'm confused, but I don't show it. He seemed completely wrapped up in our conversation.

"I'm sure that's what it was." I decide and tell her. "There are so many girls here, it must be difficult for him to get used to it all."

"Yeah you're right." She nods and begins to eat. After a short while of everyone eating and conversing, the prince stands.

"I would like to get everyone's attention." Prince Miles says quickly. "Tomorrow night we will have a welcoming ball. Your maids are working on dresses for each of you as we speak. You are dismissed whenever you are done with your meals."

Some of the girls jump with excitement but I could nearly groan. I stand up from my table, curtesy quickly and walk out of the room becoming the first girl to leave.