Chapter 8

The next day I stay inside my bedroom, not going down to breakfast or lunch, but the ball had been rescheduled to tonight so I was forced to get ready to go.

My maids fixed my hair in gentle blonde waves down my back. My makeup was just as bold as it always was so when I stare into the mirror I just sigh and turn to see what my dress looked like. I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful ball gown it was less revealing than anything I'd worn in a long time so I willingly let my maids help me into it. It was a beautiful navy with lace sleeves and floral designs around the bottom.

"Thank you

"Thank you." I murmur softly as they help me into my shoes. I walk out of my room and make my way to the ballroom.

"You know, Lady Violet, breakfast and lunch are not optional." I hear from behind me. I turn and see the prince walking toward me.

"What are you going to do about it?" I challenge. "Send me home?"

"I wouldn't dare." He says sarcastically. I scoff and roll my eyes, looking away from him. "You don't look very happy to be going to a ball."

"I've been to plenty of parties before." I murmur.

"Not at the palace. And not with me." He comes up beside of me smirking. I look at him and just shake my head.

I walk away from him and into the ballroom. It was a beautiful room with tables setting in one corner, drinks being served my maids around the tables, and the rest dedicated to socializing and dancing.

I immediately make my way to the tables and see Josephine sitting there with another girl. She turns and sees me and waves me to come to her.

"This is Paris Holt, Violet. You've probably heard of her before she's a fabulous singer." Josephine tells me with a bright smile.

I smile along and greet her but I knew that we were all three here because of the strings our parents pulled. I sit beside them and listen to the pointless conversation they were having.

"So Violet, what happened between you and Dylan?" Paris asks and leans in with a mischievous smile. I take a moment and think about how I should respond.

"We broke up. It's as simple as that." I shrug. "You know how the media is. They over exaggerate everything."

Paris didn't seem completely happy with my response and opened her mouth to ask another question but I stood up and left. As I walk past a maid with wine glasses I pick one up for myself. I walk toward the door but footsteps behind me cause me to turn around.

"It's rude to leave a party after less than five minutes." The prince says. I manage to roll my eyes without him noticing, or at least pointing it out. "At least without at least dancing once."

He offers me his hand and nods to the dance floor. I look between the two for a moment.

"So if I dance with you I can leave?" I question without taking a step toward him.

"I'll even walk you back to your room." He offers a small smile and I take his hand, setting my wine glass down on the closest table on our way to the dance floor. "Are you not a fan of dancing?"

"I grew up in dance classes." I tell him emotionlessly as we are the first to begin the dance.

"You didn't answer the question." He tells me. I was taken aback and I stare at him for a moment as we both move together in perfect unison, most likely since we both grew up knowing these dances.

"Of course I did." I answer.

"You never said if you liked it or not. You just said you grew up in classes." He responds. Where I was from, I had answered and people assumed if you'd been in them you loved them.

"I guess I don't necessarily love it. All I remember are the endless hours with books on my head to make sure my posture was correct and the unimaginable lecturing and screaming directed at a seven year old." I say softly as I think about it for the first time.

"I never minded dancing lessons, but I was also taught by my father and mother. I never had the strict lessons or the yelling." He comments.

"Be grateful for that." I murmur. We dance for the next few minutes as the song plays on. Near the middle of the dance I realize how physically close we had become as if I was completely comfortable with him. For the next few minutes though, I let myself relax into the dance and into the prince.

As the dance ends I abruptly step away from him, putting a safe distant between us.

"I'm going to go now." I tell him and turn to the door but he gently intertwines our arms.

"And I'll walk you up there." He offers and walks me out of the room. As we get out into the lonely hallway he asks, "Why are you so insistent on leaving the ball so early."

"Parties have became part of my schedule. It's only been recently that I've decided they aren't worth my time." I shrug and keep my head focused on the hallway in front of me.

"Why don't you try enjoying them?" He asks, confused.

"I have better things to waste my time on." I tell him.

We get to the door of my room quickly. I turn to face him and he holds onto one of my hands. I was nearly holding my breath waiting for him to let it go.

"Maybe you can make up the time to me. I usually walk in the gardens as the sun is rising before breakfast." Prince Miles says with a smile. He leans down, kisses the top of my hand, and then begins to walk away. "Goodnight Lady Violet."

I stand there for another few minutes in complete shock before wondering into my bedroom and then sitting down to think about what had happened some more.