7

Riker's POV

Keeping secrets.

Everybody has a secret. Some people have more than one. Not all secrets are major. Jamie was keeping the secret about her cancer. She hadn't told anyone, not even her parents. I went behind her back and called them to come down for the weekend. I knew Jamie would be mad at me, but she would have to tell her parents anyway.
She hadn't gotten off the couch since her first doctor appointment.

They determined she had stage 1 Lymphocyte Leukemia. She was just depressed.

I walked into the living room to find Jackson on the floor with Jacey. Jamie was watching TV, taking up the whole couch. Her watching TV was something new. It made me feel a little relieved. I sat on the floor with the kids.

"Daddy, let's play cars!" Jackson yelled.

"Ask Mommy if she wants to join," I said. I always tried to get the kids to ask her to do stuff because she couldn't say no to them.

"Mommy--" Jamie sat up and took a deep breath.

"I'll play," she said. She slid off the couch and onto the floor. I smiled at her, but she only had a short, half smile. She wasn't into the game with her mind someone else, but she faked it for Jackson. Jacey crawled over and grabbed a car. She waved it around and dropped it on Jackson's leg.

"Ow!" he yelled. Jacey didn't like the yelling and started to cry. I picked up Jacey, and Jamie took care of Jackson. "She can't play anymore!"

"She didn't mean it," Jamie told Jackson. That was the most I heard her say in a week. Jacey had grabbed her own toy and started playing with it. We went back to playing cars, but you could tell Jamie was somewhere else. Jackson would talk to her and she'd ask what he said because she wasn't listening. Finally, I told Jackson that I was going to fix lunch and that he could help. I told him to head to kitchen while I cleaned up.

"I'm depressed too. Believe me. I rather me be in your shoes than you. But at least try to focus," I said as I picked up the toy cars and set them in a box. I picked Jacey up and put her in her pack-n-play. Jamie wasn't going to watch her. She was going to watch TV.

__

The next day came. Jamie's parents flew in and we're catching a taxi to our house. I still hadn't told Jamie. I decided to let it be a surprise. It was an evil surprise on my opinion. I don't know how she is going to react with her different mood lately.

"Jamie, you really need to get a shower," I told her.

"What's the point?"

"The point is you're still here on this earth. You think you're dying, and you're not!" I said. Jackson was still asleep, so I didn't have to watch what I said.

"I don't have any motivation, Riker. I try to get up and brush my teeth, but I can't," she whispered. She rolled her head into a pillow. "I hate this." I scooted her over on the couch and laid down beside her. I have her a hug and laid with her head on my shoulder.

"I hate it too," I said. I let a moment go by. "But I still get a shower." Jamie let out a small laugh. "I've missed that." I gave Jamie a kiss.

"I missed that," she said. I stood.

"You getting a shower?" I asked. She thought about it.

"Maybe tomorrow."

"You're getting a shower today," I told her. I grabbed her hands. "I will drag you into the bathroom." She sat up. She stood and walked into the bathroom, closing the door. All that without a word. I heard the shower run. She came back out looking refreshed. "Feel better?"