Half Truths - chapter 26

the last chapter..

Chapter Twenty Six

It’s another weird couple of weeks. But it’s better, than the last weird couple of weeks that Grace had.

For one thing, Hannah is happier. Apparently Mamrie is now talking to her again, at home, and has moved from ignoring Hannah’s new relationship, to teasing her mercilessly about it, over the dinner table.

Hannah warns her, one time when they are up in Grace’s bedroom lying on her bed and are actually working on their respective assignments for once, that at some point Grace will have to come to her house for dinner, because Mamrie’s antics have made their parents curious.

Grace makes a face.

“Curious in what way? She’s not told them all about-”

Hannah shakes her head quickly.

“No, god no. Mamrie doesn’t really do much, I guess, she just kind of says to me things like, um, ‘did you and Grace talk about anything interesting today’, when we are all eating, and then when I talk about you she will pretend to barf everywhere.”

Grace snorts, and then rolls onto her back, clicking her pen a couple of times.

“So what you are saying is that you have made them curious. Maybe stop talking about me so much?”
Hannah shrugs a couple of times, and then leans over her, grinning down easily.

“Can you blame me? Stop being so cute.”

Grace wrinkles her nose, and then smiles, as Hannah looks at her lips.

“No.”

Hannah’s kisses seem to taste sweeter, ever since her and Mamrie talked. Grace wonders if the happiness transmits, somehow.

Grace and Pearl seem to merge into Hannah’s friendship group, until Grace spends more lunchtimes than not, sitting across from Pearl, watching Ashley and Tyler bicker about something, while Lyle plays the peace keeper, and Hannah laughs along next to her. Sometimes there is a tall boy called Nick there, who doesn’t seem to talk much in front of Pearl, but is far more chatty when Pearl isn’t there, Grace notices.

He smiles across at her, the third time he joins them for lunch, and nods at Hannah.

“Well done you two. Sorry for putting my foot in it by the way - I think I probably set Mamrie on your case.”

Tyler clears his throat, waving Nick’s claim away.

“Umm, no, that was definitely me, Nick, you can’t steal all my glory.”

Hannah laughs at both of them, and Grace rolls her eyes and says “No, it was definitely Mamrie walking in on me and Hannah kissing in the kitchen. That was it. Hannah has no sense of timing.”

Hannah gasps, and then points at Grace.

“Pretty sure that it was you who initiated that, Grace.”

Before Grace can deny all knowledge of such unfounded claims, Mamrie appears behind them, with Joselyn at her elbow. The laugh dies in Hannah’s throat, and she grins nervously.

“Oh hi Mames. Jos.”

Joselyn waves a hello, and Mamrie nods once in greeting.

“Hi, yes, hello all, I was just wanting to check - Tyler, are you still free to compete this weekend? We’ve had someone drop out.”