ERIS - chapter 7

They end up taking a walk through the park. Mel is gorgeous, she’s witty and she keeps ‘accidentally’ brushing against Hannah in a way that makes her palms sweat. Hannah kind of wishes she was still in Bar None so she’d have Mamrie’s cool factor working in her favour, but somehow she seems to be holding her own. She’s never intentionally flirted with a woman in her life; she and Helen happened by accident and Eris was…well, Eris was different. She feels like an absolute nerd whenever she makes a lame joke, but Mel giggles appreciatively, biting her bottom lip and gazing at Hannah through thick lashes.

This is the scariest moment of Hannah’s life.

“So, um…” she says, incredibly conscious of her lips for some reason, “do you maybe, um, would you want to, I dunno, get dinner sometime?” On the last word her tongue betrays her; she lisps, and immediately feels herself start to blush.

Mel smiles at her.

“Why Ms. Hart,” she says in an outrageously bad Southern accent, “are you askin’ me on a date?”

Hannah laughs and responds in her own exaggerated valley girl drawl, her momentary embarrassment forgotten.

“Yah! Fer sure. Totally.”

Mel smiles again and speaks normally. “I’d love to. Are you free Friday?”

Hannah nods. “Do you like French?”

Mel raises an eyebrow, fighting a smirk.

“I mean, um, would you like to go to a French place? I was thinking Recherché.”

“That place has a four month waiting list.”

“Yeah. My job has, um, I mean, I know a guy.” Hannah says.

Mel shakes her head. “You’re the first person who has ever said that to me without sounding like a total douchebag. Kudos!”

Hannah’s pretty sure her legs are starting to shake.

“So, um, is that a yes?”

“I’d love to.”

Mel pulls a pen from her purse, takes Hannah’s hand and scrawls her number across the soft inner skin of her forearm.

“Call me?” Mel asks, a tiny hint of vulnerability in her voice.

“Promise.” Hannah replies.

Mel smiles again and leans forward, pressing a light kiss to Hannah’s cheek.

“See you Friday, hotshot,” she says quietly, before turning and hailing a cab. As it drives away, Mel waves happily and Hannah responds in kind. The cab turns the corner and Hannah pulls out her phone to call her driver when she sees three messages from Mamrie.

That girl was gorgeous! Did you get her number?

Are you ignoring me because you’re getting laid right now?

You’re either getting laid or you got distracted by a cute puppy or something. Call me in the morning. Night stud!

Hannah checks the time and blinks in shock when she sees it’s nearly midnight. She heads home, alternating between trying not to stare at Mel’s number and trying not to overanalyze the night’s events.

The doorman on duty smiles at her as she gets home.

“Did you have a good night, ma’am?” He asks politely.

“It’s Hannah,” she tells him, before considering his question. “I had a great night.”

Hannah wakes up on Friday morning feeling nervous and excited and just a tiny bit like she might throw up. As the morning goes on, she starts to panic a little and texts Mamrie.