Half Truths - chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

The wheels fall off in the space of about twenty four hours.

All Mamrie really remembers, when she thinks back, is that she went from a pretty zen state of what the fuck is Hannah so happy about these days,to what the fuck does she think she is doing in something approaching mach speed.

She does remember that her first suspicion that something was up came from Joselyn.

She’d given Joselyn a ride home, with Hannah quiet in the backseat. Mamrie had filled the silence by trying to think of as many knee injury based abusive nicknames as she could come up with, with Jos rolling her eyes at each one.

“Here you are then Stumpy.”

Joselyn snorts, and flips her off, before turning in her seat to speak to Hannah.

“It was good to talk to you by the way - let me know how it goes.”

Mamrie glances up at Hannah in the rear view mirror, who is doing a pretty poor poker face.

“How what goes?”
Joselyn levers open the door, and hobbles out.

“Oh, just stuff, you know. Bye Mames.”

Mamrie waves her off, and then puts the car into drive.

“What’s that about?”

Mamrie is concentrating on the road, and so doesn’t watch Hannah as she answers, however just from her tone she can feel that something is not fully normal about her answer. Hannah hesitates before responding, and speaks as though she is thinking carefully, about each one of her words.

“Um. Nothing. Just…we were talking about career plans and things, after high school. Joselyn suggested that I go speak to the careers advice woman.”

Sounds sensible. And nothing at all like something Joselyn would say. At the next moment that Mamrie can, she looks up at Hannah in the mirror, and even though dusk is creeping up around them, she can still just about make out a hint of a blush, highlighting her younger sister’s cheeks.

“You sure about that?”

Hannah frowns, and then meets her eye briefly, glaring.

“Why would I say it otherwise? Yes I’m sure.”

Whoa, okay. Hormonal, much? Mamrie lets Hannah’s terrible acting slide, because her and Hannah never argue, and she is not about to start over some throwaway conversation that almost certainly means nothing.

“Okay, okay, jeez, just asking.”

Hannah sounds only slightly placated, and grumbles, “yeah, well, maybe I don’t have to tell you about every detail, all the time. You never do.”

Mamrie’s eyebrows rise in response, and she thinks about taking things up a notch, before inhaling a deep breath and flicking on the radio.

“I’m going to assume you’ve had a really shitty day, okay? Because it was a perfectly innocent question and does not deserve this level of outrage. But whatever. No further questions.”

Hannah stays quiet in the back, and Mamrie drives on, biting at the inside of her lower lip.

Because Hannah is never this unreasonable.

Hannah’s bad mood lingers into the next day, because she has clearly been operating under false pretences.