ERIS - chapter 4

Things are good.

Hannah’s company managed to bring in another huge client, she’s finally starting to open the windows in her apartment to let the sun in, and she’s set up another meeting with Eris for the weekend. So, yeah, things are pretty fucking good.

In fact, Hannah’s so happy that she does something strange. Usually, she’d send her assistant, Sarah, to do the laborious task, but not tonight. As her coworkers begin to slowly pack up their things and head out of the office, she catches Pearl’s attention.

“What’s up, boss?” Pearl grins, slinging her bag over her shoulder.

“Are you doing anything tonight?” Hannah smiles, shoving her hands into her pockets.

Pearl laughs, “Just opening up a bottle of wine and passing out on my couch. Why, do you have something in mind?”

“I was thinking of checking out that bar that Mark wants me to start takingpotential clients to. Bar None, is it?”

“Oh, um, yeah,” Pearl’s eyes widen in surprise, “Are you asking me to go to a bar with you?”

“Yes. For completely work-related purposes, of course,” Hannah explains, “Are you in?”

“Actually, yeah, that’d be great. There’s been a lot to do this week and I could use a –”

“Sorry to listen in, ladies, but did I hear someone mention Bar None?” Mark appears from around the corner of Pearl’s office, dazzling white smile and raised eyebrows in place.

Hannah’s about to tell Mark to go home, but decides against it. After all, Mark’s not a completely terrible guy. He did set her up with Eris, after all. Hannah’s pretty sure that she’s just bitter about the fact that he found the idea of a woman refusing to be with him so repulsive that he flat-out assumed she was gay. Though to Mark’s defense, he wasn’t exactly wrong about that.

So, you know, what the hell? It’s not like she can hold a grudge against the guyforever.

“Pearl and I are going tonight to scope the place out. Y’know, just to see how accommodating it would be for potential clients and to check out their VIP rooms,” Hannah smiles, “Care to join?”

“Count me in,” Mark beams, “Just let me get my coat and I’ll be ready.”

On their way out of the office, the three of them decide to take Pearl’s carbecause Hannah’s form of transportation is the train and Mark refuses to drive his Jag unless absolutely necessary.  “It’s brand new and these streets are filthy,” He had said with a scowl as they made their way towards Pearl’s blue Prius.

As Pearl rounds the front of her car, Mark pulls Hannah into him slightly and whispers, “I’m sorry about what happened between us, boss. Really, I was out of line in making assumptions about you. Are we good?”

Hannah gives Mark a warm smile and nods, “It’s fine, we’re good.”

Mark exhales a sigh of relief and grins in return, “Good. Great. I thought my jobwas at stake for a while there.”

“You’re an asshole, Mark, but you’re a smart asshole. I couldn’t let you go even if I wanted to,” Hannah laughs, “Oh, and thank you.”

“For what?” Mark slides into the back seat as Hannah goes for the passenger door of Pearl’s car.

Hannah turns over her shoulder and gives him a small smile, “Just… thank you.”

It takes Mark a moment, but as soon as his eyes widen in realization, Hannah’s already turned back around and watching Pearl pull out of the Masubi employeeparking lot.