ERIS - chapter 13

Mamrie spends her last week at work tying up every possible loose end that might ruin her first Christmas at home in four years. Taking over Bar None has been amazing, but she’s looking forward to a break. Finally the 23rd rolls around and she texts Hannah and Grace as she heads for the airport.

MERRY CHRISTMAS YA LOSERS SEE YOU AFTER NEW YEAR!

She’s greeted at the airport by a whole throng of relatives and engulfed in hug that doesn’t seem to end until they’re walking out to the car. Back at the house there are even more people, including a few tiny cousins she’s never met, so for almost a week there are games andpresents and beer and food and Mamrie ends up with carpet burn from wrestling with the little monsters. As Christmas passes and the New Year approaches, the crowd thins out until finally it’s just her parents and siblings left. They watch the ball drop in Times Square and Mamrie points out where her favourite hot dog stand normally is, the place she met Weird Al and other vital landmarks until her mom hushes her. At midnight they all toast in the New Year and Mamrie promises her family she’ll make it back more often.

She spends the next two days helping clean the house after the familial invasion and far too soon she’s back at the airport, receiving a much more manageable number of hugs. When she lands in New York she calls Grace and the two of them make plans to meet up the following day. She calls Hannah next, but the call goes to voicemail.

It takes Mamrie a little while to worry, because Hannah often disappears for a while when work gets busy, but she’s never gone almost three weeks without getting in touch. She wants to ask Grace if she’s heard from her, but Hannah is still a touchy subject between them right now. Instead she calls Hannah again and leaves a message

“Hey buttface, when you get this send me a text so I at least know you’re alive. I thought having an assistant was supposed to make your life easier, not make you disappear off the face of the Earth!!”

Another two days pass before she calls Grace.

“Hey, Mames, what’s up?”

“Hey, listen, have you heard from Hannah?”

Grace sighs.

“Mamrie, I don’t want to talk about-“

“No, Grace, this isn’t about Eris. Have you heard from her lately?”

There’s a long silence.

“No.” Grace replies. “She didn’t tell you?”

“Tell me what?” Mamrie asks, a little afraid of the answer.

“We kind of had a fight. Or, not a fight. I don’t know. I told her she couldn’t see Eris anymore and the next day she texted me saying she needed some space. I didn’t know she was avoiding you too.”

“Wow. When did this happen?”

“Just before Christmas.”

“Shit.” Mamrie chews on her lip for a moment, thinking hard. She hears Grace clear her throat nervously.

“Hey, you did the right thing,” Mamrie tells her. “That whole Eris thing was going to end messily, no matter what.”

“Yeah,” Grace agrees distantly. “Let me know if you hear anything?”

“Okay.”

She hangs up and sends Hannah another text.

Grace told me what happened. I’m coming over after work.

She doesn’t get a reply. Mamrie tries not to worry, because God knows her tiny namesake needs her processing time, but hiding for nearly a month is just crazy.