Chapter Eighteen

OH MY GOD, I'M ALIVE.

<><><><>

“Oh god, are you serious?!”

“Whuh?”

“That's your fifth plate!”

“Whuw itf endleff fowuh weafun.”

“Yeah, as in 'eat until you pop', not 'eat until the store runs out of pancake mix!'”

“Mumby fo yo.”

“No, for everyone on the planet that doesn't have four stomachs.”

“Uh-uh. I'mb compbweetwy nowal. Itf unbubweebabwle ahht yo mublweebmumfuff.”

“Okay, I don't even know what you're saying anymore.”

I rolled my eyes and swallowed everything in my mouth. Kenyen had stopped after two plates of pancakes, but I kept going. He wasn't kidding when he said that I was on my fifth plate already. I stuffed another mouthwatering piece of chocolate chip pancakes in my mouth and swallowed that, too, before whipping my lips and taking a long gulp of milk.

“I'm just saying, you're the one who picked this place,” I mumbled back. I poked at the bandage on my lip, making sure it was still secure.

“Well, I didn't expect you to eat everything in it,” he shot back.

I rolled my eyes again, but I couldn't help but laugh at his expression. He was pouting a little, his arms crossed against the booth table. The pout looked foreign placed upon his sharp features and I raised an eyebrow.

“Oh, is someone jealous? You annoyed I'm paying more attention to the pancakes than you?”

He rolled his eyes at me and leaned forward. “Right, because I, Kenyen Hughs – famous author – can be jealous of an abnormal amount of pancakes.”

“Well, at least you admit it,” I sighed, stuffing my face with the last bite of chocolatey goodness.

He sighed and slumped back into his chair, staring at my empty plate with hope. “You done yet?” he asked, raising his eyes to meet mine.

I cocked my head to the side, pretending to contemplate another heaping stack of pancakes. Tapping my fork against my chin, I looked toward him to see another glare aimed my way. I laughed and put the fork down.

“Yup, I'm satisfied.”

He looked at me sceptically for a few more seconds, debating whether I was probably human or not, before he sighed and signaled for the waitress to bring over the bill. I gave him a look as he pulled his wallet out, planning to pay for everything himself. He looked up at me, noticing my glare.