Chapter Five

I barely had time to register who had opened the door before they were attacking me. I let out a startled gasp as the person ran into me with full force, almost knocking me to the ground.

“Jakey-wakey, I missed you so-o-o-o-o much!” the tiny little voice screamed.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah. You too, Cassy. Now get off me!” I tried prying her fingers from the back of my shirt, but she was holding on so damn tight that she wouldn't even budge. Damn this girl had a tight grip!

I sighed in frustration and gave up trying to pry her off. Instead I tried walking through the door with her attached to me like it was a completely normal occurrence. She backed up with every step I took until we were completely inside the house. She still hadn't let go, or even lifted her face from my shirt, yet.

“Come on, squirt, I really need to pee,”

“EW!” she screamed, letting go so quickly that she fell back on her butt. I chuckled slightly before sending her a wink. She glared at me with a disgusted look on her face; obviously she still hadn't gotten over her germ-a-phobia. She crossed her arms over her chest and huffed loudly as I walked in the direction of the bathroom. I really did have to pee after speeding for almost twenty minutes straight.

When I got back, another person attacked me. This time, it wasn't as forceful, and the person wasn't as shrimpy.

“Hey mom,” I sighed, hugging her back gently.

“Ugh, I missed you so much! You're my favorite son, you know that?”

I rolled my eyes and stepped back. She gave me a sweet smile and patted my arm before returning to the kitchen. Cassy and Nichole were sitting on the couch watching some sort of television show. Well... Nichole was trying to watch the show. Cassy was basically just talking her ear off. It was kind of amusing, though, to see Nicky glare with such a passion at the TV, trying her hardest not to lash out and tell Cassy to shut up.

Or at least, it would have been amusing if Cassy wasn't starting to annoy me, too. Nichole finally noticed me standing in the doorway and smirked, knowing she was the one who pushed me to come here.

“Hey, twinkle-toes.”

Cassy laughed, stopping mid-sentence. I was sure she'd never noticed that no one had been listening to her in the first place. Or maybe she knew perfectly well that no one was listening and just had some kind of obsession with hearing her own voice.

“Twinkle-toes! Twinkle-toes!” Cassy chanted. I swear, it was more like she was six than sixteen. She kept chanting, ignoring the glares Nichole was shooting her way.

I joined in and glared at my sister from across the room. Her annoying chatter was endless and her high pitched voice was making my headache from this morning return. I rubbed my temples, wishing it away, and sat quietly on the couch next to them. Suddenly Cassy popped up from the couch and ran up the stairs. I gave Nichole a look, but she just shrugged her shoulders and turned back to the TV.