Chapter Sixteen

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF THE NEW COVER?! :DD I like it...

P.S.

You're beautiful.

<><><><>

I sat back in my car, throwing my newly bought sketch pad into the passenger's seat. Kenyen hadn't texted me since lunch, so I guessed that he was still asleep. It'd only been two hours, after all. Either way, I was waking him up and there was nothing he could do about it.

The drive to his house was short and I scowled at the familiar buildings. This distance seemed a lot longer when I was trying to run away from it, I thought bitterly.

I sighed and shook my head, turning into Kenyen's driveway. Since it was closing in on winter, the days had begun to get shorter and unfortunately that meant that even though it was only around four o'clock, the light was already dimming from the sky. A pale moon shone overhead, seemingly almost see through in the dimming light.

The door was open and I walked through, hanging my light jacket on the coat rack as I did so. The house was dark, the only light there was, was streaming in through the large floor-to-ceiling window in the living room. The barely visible light wasn't helping much, only slightly illuminating the room. I rolled my eyes and flicked on a light switch.

Yep, definitely still sleeping.

I snickered quietly and pulled off my shoes, sneaking down the short hallway. Luckily, Kenyen's bedroom door was open and I didn't have to risk it creaking as I tried to open it myself. I laughed as I spotted him, in all his glory. He was rolled up in a tight ball like a little child, the comforter was already flung on the other side of the bed, and he was just wrapped up in his sheets – which he'd tugged free from the mattress, by the way.

He looked innocent and even childlike while wrapped up so tightly. In fact, he looked around my age, if not younger (although, I'd never actually tell him that). I smiled softly, studying his sleeping face, and walked quietly over to him, making sure that I didn't wake him with my foot falls.

I watched him a bit more, finding some sort of strange entertainment in seeing his features so relaxed and carefree. I smiled nervously as a blush crept to my cheeks. He would also never be hearing about this, either.

So peaceful, I thought, not even risking my mind's words being above a whisper. … Oh well.

“KENNY!” I screamed, jumping on top of him. I thought he would just groan and shove me off, but instead he grabbed my wrists tightly and flipped me on my back. His eyes were narrowed in a glare and his hair was disheveled.

“Well, someone is a scary riser,” I said, attempting to laugh off my shock. He had taken me by surprise, and that mixed with how close he was had my heart racing double-time. He narrowed his eyes menacingly, but it took all I had to hold in my laughter. He looked so disoriented that it was cute, in a way.

After a few more second he grumbled something unintelligible and rolled off of me. I laughed, still hiding the few nerves that remained, and jumped off the bed.