A Date With the Devil

"Are you kidding me?!" Ember yells. It's completely dark in the tunnel since my light died, and she is not happy.

"How was I supposed to know it was going to die on us?" I reply, tapping into my wolf's sight to be able to see. Ember follows my lead and soon our eyes are glowing softly in the blackness.

"We should have just done this from the start." She says, moving past me, only to stop when a piece of the ceiling falls directly in front of her. Dust flies up once again and leave us coughing as the particles enter our lungs.

I rapidly pull my shirt up over my mouth to help me breath and begin to creep forward at a slower pace. If another piece of the ceiling decides to fall, we have to be ready. It's becoming quite obvious that whatever made the castle shake, loosened the old structure here in the tunnels. If we're not careful, I have a feeling we could get trapped in here and no one would know where we are.

"Where should we try to go first?" I shrug.

"My father will probably have gathered the guards to try to gain control over whatever the situation is."

"Which means we have to figure out what's going on before we can actually reach someone to warn them." She finishes, and I nod.

I continue down the tunnel and it isn't long before we come to a split. I eye each way and determine that the left passage way will keep taking us downward. Ember follows me without question, trusting me and my navigation. If only I was as confident in myself as she is in me right now.

Twist after turn appears in our path, but we keep moving. Soon, I catch a whiff of fresh air. It either means we're near an exit or near a window. I'm silently praying that it's an exit.

Suddenly, there is an outline of a door; The light from outside is getting through the cracks. I hastily press against the stone wall that doubles as a door and it slowly opens.

Fresh air assaults my senses and the sun temporarily blinds me. I blink a few times, but quickly get my sight back. Looking around, I immediately recognize where we are.

We're standing right around the side of the castle near the front door. If I peek my head around the corner of the large wall, I can see the big wolf fountain in the front "yard", for lack of a better word. A few pieces of ivy and moss are growing on the wall where the secret door is hidden, but I have Ember help me cover the door back up once we close it.

"Where to now?" She asks, and the hair on the back of my neck stands up. I feel like someone is watching us.

"Anywhere but here." I grab her hand and proceed to run around the back of my home. We duck under trees and make it to the back, only to freeze. My mouth drops open at the sight in front of me.

Blood is everywhere.

There are dead wolves lying on the grass, staining it red. My favorite tree, the one I used to escape from this place so long ago, is on fire. Its smoke is billowing and floating higher into the sky before disappearing behind the clouds. The castle itself has a huge, gaping hole in the side. That's most likely what we felt being blown up. The walls are crumbling into nothing and are also on fire.

"Terra!" I instinctively duck and the wolf who tried to attack me flies over and lands a few feet away from me. The first thing I can tell you is it isn't a pack wolf.

Its fur is matted and partially bloody. It's also missing an ear and growling loudly at me; his fur is raised and his lips are pulled back in an ugly snarl. I pull my lips back over my own teeth, feeling my canines slowly growing into those of my wolf. I narrow my eyes at my attacker and let out a threatening growl of my own.