Chapter 31a

Nadine had a way of entering a room with the dignity of an aristocrat and the gentle humility of a beloved teacher. I drew on those qualities now as I walked into her lavishly decorated dressing room. It held warm memories of many a performance night spent here helping Nadine dress and do her makeup. The room was as much an extension of Nadine’s personality as her suite, and I felt closer to her just walking through the door.

Only the very top actors and actresses—ones who received the title of “Sir” or “Dame” from the Empress—received fancy dressing rooms. Nadine’s had delicate cabbage rose wallpaper hand-painted by our best scene painter in shades of pinks and peach. The chairs were upholstered in rose colored silk, and a matching sofa lined the wall opposite her gilded dressing table with its brightly lit mirror. 

The luxury wasn’t given to her only because she was talented and popular. Part of her job was to reward wealthy patrons for their support of the theater by letting them visit her while she was preparing for a show or after the show. Her protector, the Viscount Deverey, also would visit her here, and he demanded their privacy. 

Thankfully, I didn’t have to worry about him tonight. He was still at the family’s estate in the country with his wife and children and hadn’t been to Aldwych in several weeks. 

Agnes Lampeter, the seamstress who was friends with Wallace Shelby, was in the room setting out my costumes. “Good evening, Dame Fairchild,” she said, barely glancing up from her work.

“Where is Emmaline?” I said, sinking onto the vanity bench in front of the dressing table. Emmaline was Nadine’s usual dresser—rather like an actress’s ladies maid to help her dress and do her hair and makeup. 

“Unfortunately, she’s ill this evening. I’ll be assisting you tonight.”

“I’m so sorry to hear she’s feeling poorly. I will have to check in on her tomorrow.” I knew that was what Nadine would do. 

 Miss Lampeter didn’t respond immediately. She seemed to be studying the costumes closely. Then, offhandedly, “I’m sure she would appreciate that.”

“Is there a problem?” I didn’t like how she was inspecting the costumes.

“There have been some alterations, additions to your costumes. Metal pieces inserted into your gloves and I swear your boots now weigh half a pound each. The stitching is very inferior. I wasn’t aware the costume department had made changes to the design.”

How to explain the adjustments I’d made? “The stunt department. They asked for some alterations to make it safer for me to climb about on the ship set. I thought it was an excellent project for an apprentice.”

She accepted the explanation without further comment, but she radiated disapproval. Sometimes the departments were rather territorial, and I had a feeling someone in Stunts was going to get a big scolding later. 

I took the pins out of my hair and let it fall around my waist. Miss Lampeter helped me undress, and I wrapped myself in a light satin dressing gown. 

She was brushing my hair when someone knocked on the door. She went to open it, and I saw the tall form of our theater manager. He removed a top hat from his graying blond hair and bowed to me from the doorway. 

“Master Fenrey!” I started to rise, but he waved me off.

“No, don’t get up.” He nodded at Miss Lampeter. “Could you give us a few minutes, please?”

She curtseyed to him. “Of course, sir.” Then, to me, “I will fetch your lemon water for you.”  

“Thank you.”