Special Peek at Book 2: Claws of Brass

2016 UPDATE: Chains of Silver is now available as an e-book on Amazon, B&N, Kobo, and iBooks! If you liked reading it here, please consider getting your own copy. :-)

Here's a universal link to all the main e-retailers: http://books2read.com/u/mdqqR4

UPDATE 2: Claws of Brass is also available--both here on Wattpad (serialized: https://www.wattpad.com/story/83076647-claws-of-brass-alchemy-empire-book-2

OR the whole book can be pre-ordered/purchased here: https://books2read.com/u/mgK0eX

Also, please leave a review--it's a great way to support authors and help readers find books they'll love. Thanks!

*************************

Merry Christmas, everyone! I promised that Santa would bring you something special here today, and here we are: a sneak preview of Claws of Brass, book 2 in the Alchemy Empire Series. 

This is dedicated to all of you who have read and enjoyed my work so far. Thank you SO much for your comments, support, enthusiasm, and in many cases, new friendship. Love you all and can't wait to share more with you in the coming year!

This scene is actually from Chapter 2. It's a tiny bit spoilery, but not too much. I'm hoping to start posting installments of Claws of Brass soon, so stay tuned.

If you haven't followed me yet, please do, because that way I can easily let you know when I start posting book 2. 

ENJOY!

**********************************

When Evelyn and I entered the crowded dining hall, I craned my neck and stood on tiptoe to peer around the line of apprentices at the buffet table. I caught sight of our crowd of friends at their usual table in the far corner of the hall. My gaze landed affectionately on a certain shock of ginger hair belonging to my beau of one month, Raymond Carrew. He was sitting next to Thea, with an open seat for me between them.  

I headed toward the table, but Evelyn caught my elbow and drew close. "Looks like the gossip machine is in full force already."

I frowned at her. "What do you mean?"

"Did you notice how people stared at us when we came in? They've probably already heard about my fight with Dahlia." Her voice wobbled a bit at her former roommate's name. 

I glanced around, trying to be subtle about it. "I hadn't noticed. They've been staring at me for a solid month now, ever since the Peacock attack. I've gotten used to it, I suppose."

A month ago, I used my shapeshifting and acting magic during a public performance to help catch the Peacock, a serial killer that was murdering the Empire's most famous actors and actresses. Only it turned out the serial killer wasn't just one person—it was a murder cult, Ira Deorum, that had infiltrated several theaters in Aldwych and had planned to pick off performers one by one as a protest against what they believed was the corrupting influence of theater on the empire. I almost became a victim myself, but managed to survive. The Empress's elite force of investigators had shut down all performances in Aldwych until further notice while they rooted out the cult members from the theaters. The whole thing had turned me into something of a celebrity, too. I didn't really feel ready to be famous, and there was still a part of me that hated to be stared at, but there was nothing I could do about it now. 

Avoiding the curious gazes, I guided Evelyn to our table. When Thea and Raymond caught sight of us, they clambered over the bench at the table and hurried toward us. Raymond gave me a gentle smile, but he seemed worried. He stood close to me, tucking my arm in his, almost like he was trying to shield me with his much taller self.