Chapter 16a

When the mechanical alarm clock went off the next morning, I groaned. Thea pulled the pillow over her head and mumbled something. She didn’t have to get up—final-year apprentices had the rare day off after the party. But I had promised to have breakfast with Nadine, so I forced myself to get up and dressed. 

I found myself taking extra care with my appearance that morning. I still wore the apprentice uniform, but I made more effort with my hair and even darkened my eyelashes and used a bit of cheek and lip color. 

I knew why I was doing it—I was looking forward to seeing Raymond. 

Oh all right—I was looking forward to seeing Raymond…and Dietrich. I whacked my hairbrush lightly against my forehead. Coggled Minx. Going from years of avoiding all romance to crushing on two chaps at once. In a single week! It ought to be impossible. And yet, it appeared that was exactly what I’d done.

Well, after all I’d been through, I deserved to enjoy this, right? 

But what if one of them got hurt? That was too awful to consider. Apparently, romance was not like one of my inventions—I couldn’t just sketch it out and build it to specification. If it didn’t work, I couldn’t just tweak it until I got it right. 

Romance was more like trying to create an analytical machine from a box of rusty thrunge plates and a vat of oatmeal. 

Blasted messy and damn impossible.

People weren’t machines, more the pity. It would be so much easier if they were.

At Nadine’s apartment, she greeted me looking refreshed and fully rested, even though I was sure she hadn’t returned to the theater much before Dietrich and me. She had gotten the kitchen staff to send up a small breakfast for us of fish and egg tartlets and hot buttered scones. 

As we ate, I filled her in on what we had learned last night about the Brugmansia drug. She shivered.

“I just don’t like any of this.” She frowned into her tea. “It’s evil for the Guild to place any of you in danger.”

I wondered if she had reached the conclusion Dietrich and I had—that the Guild was planning to sacrifice a vicimorph apprentice in order to catch the Peacock. But I didn’t want to ruin a lovely morning by mentioning it.

“In happier news,” I said, “I think I’m finally getting over my fear of boys.”

She gave me a swift, sharp glance, and then looked at her tea again. “Really?”

I told her about dancing with Raymond and even about the kiss in the courtyard. How many times had I dreamed of having this kind of conversation with her, as I imagined other daughters and mothers did? She was so easy to talk to, so warm, loving. She listened without much comment, but I saw fond amusement and happiness on her face. 

I finished up my tale with, “I’m just worried—what if we don’t work out? I’d be losing one of my best friends. And what if Thea can’t accept that we’re together?”

“First off, if Thea is really a friend to both of you—which she is—then she will find a way to accept it. She will probably be happy for you both, even if it means some things will change a little.”

“And what about my friendship with Raymond, if we don’t work out romantically?” I nibbled on a scone, trying not to get crumbs on her pretty rug. 

She looked thoughtful. “Most people would say that once you break up with someone, you’ll never be friends again, even if you try. But I think two people that are determined enough and willing to work through the hard times can always be friends—if they have enough respect and real love for each other.”