Chapter 27

For SaphireFire55, in thanks for the chapter she dedicated to me. 

******************

Thea was waiting, as promised, by the bridge. “Did you kiss and make up?” She reminded me of a rather irritated bee, looking for a reason to sting.

Raymond didn’t seem put off. He gave her a relaxed smile and offered his arm. “We are like well-oiled gears once more, my sweet.”

“‘My sweet,’ my arse.” Thea made a face at him, but tucked her hand around his arm.

“And it’s a very sweet arse.” He winked at her and then offered me his other arm. 

Her face grew pink. “Do shut up, Mr. Carrew.” But she didn’t sound annoyed anymore.

I took his arm, and we walked three across back to the theater, teasing and laughing. But I sneaked a few glances at Thea, and it occurred to me that maybe I’d finally figured out which chap she had her furnace lit for. 

If I was right, not only was I the dumbest cog in the machine for not realizing it sooner, but everything was going to get even more painfully complicated. I couldn’t bear the thought of breaking my best friend’s heart. 

Not even for a man like Raymond.

At the theater, I stopped them at the backstage doors to the main stage. I could feel Dietrich’s magic inside. “Let me see him alone, first.”

“We’ll wait in the Green Room,” Raymond said.

“Tell Dietrich just to use my Thought Transference Waves to call us.” Thea’s eyes sparkled.

She was enjoying having a practical purpose for her magic, I realized. I was glad for her. I’d never stopped to think about how she must feel to be always treated as non-magical when she had such intriguing, untapped power.

I grinned. “Thought transference waves? That’s way too technical for me to remember. What if we just call it the Thought Holler Thingy?”

She wrinkled her nose, barely holding back her smile. “I suppose I deserve that.”

“You suppose right.” I nudged her affectionately.

She gave me a little hug. “Go on. He’s waiting for you.” 

She and Raymond wandered down the hall to the Green Room where actors wait during performances for their entrances. I watched them go, then eased open the backstage door.

I threaded my way around the props tables and pin rail and set pieces, until I reached the wings. 

Dietrich stood in the middle of the bright pool of moonlight from the ghost light. His hands open at his side, he faced the empty house, head tilted back and eyes closed, basking in the light. He breathed deeply and slowly, in through his nose, out through his mouth, as if he were performing some sort of meditation. Peace and strength radiated from him. His magic had never felt so powerful to me.

“I knew you would return, cariad.” The words were low, but strong. He didn’t change position or even look at me. “Come.”

I crossed the stage toward him, pleased to note that it didn’t provoke the same terror in me that it had only days before. But now what? He still hadn’t moved from his place in the center of the light. 

“Why did you return?” 

Always protects. Always trusts. Always hopes. Always perseveres.

“Because of love.”