Chapter 32a

Dedicated to TracyMJoyce, just because. :-) 

************************

The first act of the play unfolded without incident. I didn’t forget my lines. I didn’t freak out when Sir Harrington had to grab me during the kissing scene. It wasn’t nearly as steamy as when Dietrich had rehearsed that scene with me, but I think we sold it to the audience well enough. 

When the curtain fell on the first act, I stared at it as the backstage lights came on. My heart was racing and my mind felt almost transcendently alert. 

Dietrich, I’m having fun!

Well, other than the constant tension of waiting for the Peacock to reveal himself. But Dietrich knew what I meant. His low laughter warmed me through our connection. 

Of course you are. It’s what you were meant to do. I’m proud of you, Gia.

My joy dimmed as I headed to my dressing room to prepare for the second act. If the Peacock was going to strike, it would be soon. 

But maybe the Peacock wouldn’t show up. He must have known Lottie had talked—maybe he would stay away so he wouldn’t be caught. 

No, that would do no good—he would only attack again later. We needed to catch him tonight.

But it would have been so lovely to be able to enjoy my first acting performance without the threat of death hovering around me.

Suddenly the crowded corridor of dressing rooms felt hostile. Too many people. Too difficult to keep track of. I recognized them all, I thought. But what if I was missing one? 

It only took a few grains of brugmansia to drug a person. It could be anywhere.

They crowded against me as I made my way toward my dressing room. Everyone seemed to have something to say. Something to offer me.

“Dame Fairchild, would you like one of my flowers?”

“My beau sent me chocolates. Try one.”

“Have some wine, Dame Fairchild.”

A dresser sneezed next to me. Someone else coughed nearby.

My heart thudded. Sweat beaded on my makeup. The crush of bodies felt like a cage. I had to get out of there.

“No thank you, everyone. Excuse me, please.” I tried to smile graciously, but inside I wanted to scream. 

I pushed to my dressing room and flung the door shut behind me.

A dark shape darted in front of me. 

I shrieked.

A hand clapped over my mouth.

“Hush, it’s just me.” The low, sensual voice sent waves of relief crashing over me.

I fell against him. “Dietrich!” I took several breaths to calm myself.

“Are you all right?”

I sank into the nearest chair. “I’m fine. Just an overzealous imagination.”

“Understandable, considering the circumstances.”

I cracked open the door. “My dresser will be here any minute,” I explained.

“I just wanted to see how you were doing.”

“I’m glad you did.” My honorometer vibrated against my forearm. I frowned.