Think of Me : The Only Hope One Shot

• Dedicated to Ally~ aka Althemea! from 1D MSG Boards!

 After a long day with Grace, Steve finally gathered some alone time for himself. He didn't mind having time for himself, since there were still many things in the world he didn't understand. To Grace's surprise, Steve brought her a puppy from one of the rescue shelters. Her fresh smile sent Steve a new feeling of hope for two of them. He didn't mind the way his life was going at the moment, even though he still missed all the things from back then. After the Erik incident, Grace recovered quickly and was able to do things back in the New York Times. Since then, the two's relationship has been going out strong and Steve was still discovering parts of the city he'd never knew. The files Addison had left a couple of weeks ago were still there in his apartment. Every night, Steve would carefully read over Peggy's file and her phone number was out in the open for him to contact her. Several times, he wondered on how she would react if he'd contacted her. How does she look now? He imagined a wrinkled, yet radiant face that still remained a strong face of a determined woman.

 Would she still remember Steve? How would she react to his long sleep, and him being alive all this time? Peggy couldn't be angry at him, after all it was the serum that kept him alive all these years. Steve thought about a content woman with her caring husband. Therefore, many of those thoughts stopped Steve from calling Peggy, but many others tried convincing him to reach the phone. He pulled out her file and continued to analyze her profile picture. Her brown tighten curls that complimented her always red lips. The sound of her voice that would always bring comfort to his ears. How Steve longed to see Peggy Carter once again, as his fingers lightly brush over the photo.

 When we've said goodbye, remember me once in a while. Please promise me you'll try.

 Ever since he woke up from the ice, Peggy never left his mind. Sure, he found Grace and fell in love with her, but Peggy still remained his first love. The woman who actually took the time to speak to a man who was half her size. She amazed Steve on how a woman like her, took the time to join the army. Woman at the time weren't needed for army or military needs because of their duties back home. At first, Steve wondered if Peggy didn't have a kind of family back home and wanted to spend her time out in the military. Beautiful woman such as herself wouldn't be found along with men behind enemy lines. After his usual thoughts, he closed the file lightly and climbed into bed. His eyes glanced upon his apartment ceiling while the thoughts continued to roam throughout his mind. Before drifting off to sleep, he looked over at his bedside picture of Peggy and Grace, the two special women in his life.

 "Steve?" A female voice called.

 Steve appeared in a different environment, one that was distinctively similar to area where he chased after the man who killed Dr. Erskine. There stood a tall brunette woman whose hair was loosely curled by her shoulders, her lips red as a healthy rose and skin as clear as a mirror. Steve's heart nearly skipped a beat as he slowly recognized the figure. She came closer to him as her brown eyes analyzed Steve's figure.

 Suddenly feeling a bit self-conscious of himself, he wrapped his arms around his chest, to shield away any bits of distraction. The woman grabbed his hand and pressed it against her cheek with a running tear that streamed down her face. Steve's spare hand gripped her open cheek and wiped the small tear.

 Think of all the things. We've shared and seen.

 "I've missed you." Peggy spoke softly.

 The words got caught in his mouth, unable to comprehend the moment. Peggy was finally here, in front of Steve. Peggy wrapped her hand around his and gave it a tight squeeze. All the emotions were running through him and Steve was unable to keep up with it all. His heart softened as Peggy leaned in for a small kiss, something Steve always wanted to do. While grasping his other hand, they continued to kiss passionately until Peggy's hands were intertwined with his. He caught her small grin as she started to dance. Her feet moving in a slow, calm movement as Steve struggled to keep up.

 "I was waiting for you at the Stork Club. I didn't believe Howard or Colonel Philips that you were dead. I knew you would always come back, never give up because that's what you always do." Peggy stated.

 "Peggy, ever since I went down in the ice, I couldn't stop thinking about you. The second I woke up, was the second I realized you weren't by my side. The date, how badly I wanted to return to you and learn how to dance." Steve calmly said.

 "Now here we are, and Steve, not bad for your first time." She complimented.

 "I actually gained some experience." Steve blurted, suddenly thinking of Grace.

 His heart began to race again, his conscience constantly pushing him to tell Peggy all about Grace. Would she be mad? Scowl at him for falling in love with another woman? His palms suddenly grew sweaty from his growing nervousness; soon Peggy noticed his silent nature.

 "Steve? Is everything alright?" She asked softly.

 "Peggy, I just, uhm, want you to know how much I love you."

 She nodded slowly, "Steve, is there something you want to tell me?"

 "Peggy, I don't want you to be mad or anything but I've fallen in love with another woman." He managed to blurt out.

 Her reaction was something Steve wasn't quite expecting from her as her lips curled up into a broad smile. Her hands released themselves from his as she looked closely to Steve.

 When you find that, once again, you long to take your heart back and be free.

 "Tell me about her, how is she?" Peggy questioned.

 "I like her. I mean, she's great. Beautiful, independent and almost fearless. Her loving personality, just everything about her. She helped me when I was lost throughout the foreign city. Grace became my only friend when I suddenly felt lost and alone again. She was like you and Bucky, the only ones who would speak to me."

 "She sounds wonderful, Steve. I'm so happy for you." Her voice was toneless.

 "Peggy, I'm sorry, please don't take it that way. I still care for you, you were my first love." Steve rushed.

 "Steve, no! Please don't worry about me. I'm happy for you and Grace. I just wish I could be able to meet this wonderful woman, who is able to fill in my shoes and take care of the man I wasn't able to keep."

 "Well, your shoes are pretty big to fill but she's just as amazing as you, Peggy Carter. I won't ever forget my first love, for the things she has given me. The first time I've encountered the feeling of love."

 With that Steve leaned in once again for another long, soothing, and final kiss. Tears began to fall from Peggy's smooth face as she gripped Steve's hand tightly, not wanting to let go. Before Peggy's departing, Steve kissed the tip of her hand while whispering the words, I love you. He watched her as she faded into the cloudy distance, the movement of her lips still lingering on his own.

 Think of me, Think of me fondly. When we've said goodbye, remember me once in a while. Please promise me you'll try.

A/N : Here it is! Think of Me One Shot featuring Steve and Peggy! The song, "Think of Me" definitely inspired me to write this, and I constantly played this song over and over to get the feels. The banner was made by althemea! from 1D MSG Boards, part one of two out of my oneshots for you guys. Thanks to arielleblack, I decided to write an one shot about Sean & Addison! Which should be up tomorrow or Sunday! Thank you for all your support on The Only Hope, my first ever completed book! Watty Awards, here we come!