Chapter Twenty-One : Black & White

Steve watched the video footage closely, seeing himself back in his suit kind of seemed foreign to him. It's been a while since; he last battled, as the black and white footage continued to play. On and on, it kept praising how Captain America led their country into the battlefield. The many faces of his team appeared behind him as he walked into the field. Everyone praised him, and he was inspiration to the entire nation. Most of the enemies would hear his name and run away in fear. He watched as many scientists experiment with many chemicals to create the super solider serum that was used on him. He closed the laptop shut, not wanting any emotions to wash over him. The files he seen earlier, was spread across the table and Steve had a sudden urge to look through them thoroughly.

 Several of them, hit memories through Steve. As he started to look through the many files that stamped deceased across the pages. Peggy's file came into view; strangely, no deceased stamp was across it. Only the words retired and below it, was her current location and phone number. He glanced over at the phone, wondering if he should contact her and if she would remember him. The feeling was tempting, as he closed the file and grabbed Howard Stark's. Again, same with the others, deceased was stamped across it. Below it stated his son's name – Tony Stark. Steve searched for the file, finding it on the bottom of all the rest. A Howard look alike, Tony really did look like his father. Another photo caught his eye; right below Tony's picture was a photo of a metal looking suit with the caption of "Iron Man".

 Interesting, Steve never heard of the name. But the suit and everything looked far too advanced for Steve's taste. He closed the file away, and grabbed the phone that was nearby. He searched through the files again, looking for Peggy's, taking his chance to reunite with her. Though, it's been long, this was worth a shot. He slowly dialed the number, his heart beating fast. He waited patiently, for at least a ring to come on the line. Steve held the phone close; he could almost hear himself breathing through the line. It started to ring, and Steve's heart continued to pound rapidly. What would he tell Peggy? About, how sorry he was that he missed their date? How was she? What happened after he left? All these questions he wanted to ask her, and at least tell that he loved her. Steve also wanted to tell Peggy about Grace, and how he felt so in love with her.

 The line went straight to voicemail, and the voice didn't sound like Peggy's. Steve's heart dropped, and slowed down its fast beating as he hung up the phone. It was worth a shot, and nothing happened. The door creaked open as Addison slowly walked in, dressed up in her SHIELD gear.

 "Captain Rogers, I assumed you looked through those files." She remarked.

 Steve let out a slow nod as he took another glance at Peggy's open file and the phone that lay nearby.

 "Did you try calling her?" Addison asked.

 Steve looked at Addison for a second, her gaze on the file. Lucky guess, he thought.

 "Yeah, I tried. No answer." Steve said slowly.

 "Do you miss her Captain Rogers?" Addison questioned.

 He hesitated before answering, "Yes."

 "I understand. I heard stories about her; she's an inspiration for women everywhere." Addison stated.

 Steve nodded, agreeing with her statement. He had a sudden urge to visit Grace, to see where she would be staying for the meantime. Though, Addison stated that she would staying with Sean, Steve still felt like seeing her. Addison walked over and arranged all the files together along with the laptop before exiting out of the room. Steve took a quick look around the room, memories of him and Peggy replaying in his head. Grace knew Peggy made a huge impact on Steve's life, and lately, Steve wasn't being very good on describing on who Peggy was. He walked out the room, and stood by the exit of the SHIELD building. Addison returned, and was surprised to see Steve outside. She gave him a confused look, and searched around the area.

 "Agent Par, I was just wondering if I could see Grace today." Steve politely asked.

 Addison's cheeks grew a bright color of red as she burst into smiles and childish giggles, "Yes! Yes, you can, Captain Rogers."

 Steve gave a small smile to Addison's reaction as they started to walk down the New York streets. The weather was being awfully bipolar today, before it used to be sunny, and now it was gloomy, almost close to rain day. Steve could feel the excitement running through him, there was a lot Steve wanted to tell Grace, about Peggy and everything.

 "You know, Agent Romanoff and I made a little bet about you and Phil Coulson's niece, Grace." Addison said with a small wink.

 "Really? You betted on Grace and me?" Steve asked with a shy smile.

 "Of course! You two just looked too cute together! However, Agent Coulson keeps denying that Grace isn't into you. Clearly, she totally is." Addison commented.

 "Agent Coulson keeps denying it? Why is that?"

 "Because he knows he's wrong, but hates to admit it. I think he's worried about her too, finding out about SHIELD."

 "She knows I'm Captain America."

 "Wait, what? She knows you're Captain America? That just makes things interesting. Hopefully she'll see you in action."

 As they crossed the last intersection to Sean's house, Steve's heart started to beat rapidly. He couldn't wait to tell Grace about the phone call, Peggy, and everything. After a quick knock, Sean answered the door, his expression a bit monologue. A sweet aroma of garlic and tomato sauce filled the house as Addison's and Steve's mouth started to water.

 "A dinner? Without me?" Addison cried happily.

 Steve watched as Addison ran to the table, her hands gripping the plate tightly as Grace served her. Steve walked over, and joined the group, also grabbing bits of food. Carly and James excused themselves from the table, along with Sean, leaving Addison, Steve, and Grace alone.

"Anything exciting today?" Addison piped.

That girl must be full of endless energy, Steve thought. He remained silent as Grace and Addison talked among themselves, girl bonding is what they call it here. He reached into his jacket pocket, finding something that wasn't there before. He opened the item slowly, showing his old compass and the black and white photo of Peggy.

 You won't be alone.

 Her words rang in his head, as he remembered the time when Peggy comforted him about Bucky.

 It wasn't your fault.

 Somehow, Steve felt as if Peggy was by his side. Supporting his relationship with Grace, and keeping their memories alive. 

A/N : I had to rush writing this cause I'm supposed to be in bed ! Okay , Update 2 ! I really wanted Steve to call Peggy in the deleted scene so I kind of made it happened in here , though , she didn't answer ! I might double update tomorrow since it's my last day of summer !