Chapter Eight : Star Light, Star Bright

As soon as Grace saw Sean's face at the door, her mood dropped. Being called away from her conversation with Steve, Carly led her to something she didn't want to see. His appearance looked different; he wasn't looking like his Sean self. His usual crisp Abercombie tees was replaced with an old looking white v-neck. It was unusual to her that Sean would be coming to her at this time. She assumed he just came over to tell her about his new article that will "rock her socks off". A phrase Sean would always say about his stories. This time, he looked tired, with a hint of hurt in his eyes. She couldn't let her guard down, Sean was good at pretending and Grace didn't want to be fooled.

"What are you doing here? I haven't seen you at all at work these days."

"I've been out of work to care for my sick mother. She's been diagnosed with stomach cancer and just died today."

As soon as he finished his sentence, her mind suddenly went blank. Sean's voice sounded hurt, a tone she never heard from him. He noticed her silence as he started to walk out. Grace didn't want Sean to walk away, not after what he had said to her. She grabbed his wrist and wrapped her arms around him. Sean seemed to be taken back by her gesture. Grace didn't care, she knew how Sean felt. She didn't want him to suffer. From Sean's actions, Grace never knew he had feelings. The boy never showed a soft side of him, Grace thought the feeling didn't exist to Sean.

She felt his tears pouring onto her sleeve, something that surprised Grace as well. Crying? Hugging? Very unlike Sean. She shook the thought and continued to embrace Sean. Nearby, she heard footsteps approach and stop by them. Grace took a peek and saw a tall and blonde figure. Sean stepped back and smiled a real genuine smile. Steve smiled bashfully, hiding away his blush that rose to his cheeks.

"Uhm, Steve, this is Sean. Sean, Steve." She introduced.

Steve extended his hand out, offering a simple hand shake as Sean returned the gesture. A smile spread across Grace's face as she watched the two. They looked peaceful, like if they would become good friends with each other. She pictured the three of them, walking around New York. But things aren't mended yet with Sean. She wondered if the Sean she sees now would still be there the following weeks at work. Possibly, when all this is over, Sean would become the jerk he had always been. He would forget about the experience and the favor Grace had given him. She comforted him when he had none, something he can't erase. She looked up, seeing the two having an awkward moment of silence. Honestly, Grace didn't know what she can do with the two. Looks like the best friend plan had faded from the situation.

"I should get going. I still need to plan the funeral." Sean stated.

"Funeral? For who? Who died?" Steve asked.

"My mother. She passed away today."

"I'm sorry for your loss."

Grace liked how Steve was sincere, and kind. He was very polite too another thing Grace liked. As she walked Sean out the door, she had an urge to ask him about the funeral, to find a way she can help.

"Sean, if you don't mind, can I help with the funeral planning? I mean you can't do all this by yourself."

"I honestly hoped you would ask me that. I can't bear planning this funeral alone. I'll never get anything done."

"Great, I'll discuss more about it with you at work right?"

He nodded in approval, "Yes. Thank you Grace."

Three words Grace never heard from Sean. She took in the moment and smiled brightly. He waved to Steve before heading off to his car. Surely, this moment would be a memory forever. To Grace, it could be a start to rewind their hate relationship, and turn it into a friendship. Sure, the two may have gone onto a rocky start with their constant bickering and their desires to be better than each other underneath would be a friendship she would treasure. If Sean refuses, the thought would fade but Grace would wait for the Sean she had experienced to come back to her. After being so consumed in her daydream about Sean, she finally snapped back to reality.

"Uhm, Grace. Is he... um... are you two...?"

Instantly, Grace knew what Steve was asking her. Underneath the muscle and gentlemen acts, was Steve's sudden weakness of speaking to women.

"No, we aren't. More like friends."

Another thought hit her, how was Steve getting home? Grace didn't like drives at night, and Brooklyn was an hour away from her apartment. She looked over and saw Steve speaking to James and Carly. Hopefully, the three of them would get along well. Her phone vibrated wildly in her pocket, as she reached out to answer.

"Hello?"

"Grace, is there a reason why you called?"

"Oh my gosh, Uncle Phil!"

"Yes, why did you call?"

"I...I..." She couldn't put the words out as she glanced over at Steve and the girls. Not when he's around.

"I'll call you later."

"Okay. I'm a bit busy here in New Mexico, but I'll return soon okay?"

"Okay."

Uncle Phil was always busy with his company. It's been weeks since Phil was in New Mexico, dealing with company business. Grace often wondered if he'll ever return to New York. She thought of his reaction if she had told him about Steve, the famous Captain America. Surely, Uncle Phil will take out his vintage trading cards and beg for an autograph. She smiled at the thought, not forgetting to tell him about her hot chocolate spill mishap.

She then thought of Steve as she walked toward him. James and Carly left the two alone and walked upstairs to their rooms. The night looked nice, and Grace had the feeling to go star gazing, a habit she developed. Probably the only time the sky had stars in the sky. Due to the city lights, stars weren't very visible in the New York sky. But this night was different, and Grace wanted to take the chance. She led Steve up their apartment fire escape, wanting to reach the top of the apartment.

The cold breeze blew through her tangled brown hair as she walked up. Steve followed silently and not saying a word about where they were going. Grace hated the silence and wanted to bring up a topic for the two to talk about.

"So how's New York for you?"

"Well, everything changed. But not as much as I thought."

"What do you mean?"

"There's still trouble. The environment has changed but the people didn't."

"Wait, I'm not following you."

"Today, when I ran after that guy who stole your purse. There's still evil around."

"Oh, thanks for getting back my purse by the way."

The conversation ended briefly as she looked up at the stars. She loved the way the stars twinkled in the sky and how they created many shapes with each other. Something that fascinated her for ages.

"Beautiful night isn't it?" Steve commented.

"Yup. Very lovely."

"You're very interesting Grace. Probably the most interesting person I have ever met. And trust me, I've seen a lot."

His comment struck her for a moment, was he trying to compliment her?

"You're very beautiful too, just like those stars." He paused for a moment, "If you think the stars are beautiful, which they are but you could say they aren't, but-"

"Of course, I think the stars are beautiful. And I'm glad that I'm interesting and beautiful. No one has ever told me that."

"I'm glad I can be the first."

A/N : Aw , Steve complimented her ! Here's more Steve & Grace action , how do you think Steve feels about Grace ? And why is Uncle Phil in New Mexico ? Tell me what you think of this chapter , thanks for reading loves (: