Chapter Two : Man Out Of Time

The last thing Steve remembered was going down into the Artic, sharing last words with Peggy. He had to rain check on the dance due to difficulties. Before he could say anymore, the plane had crashed into the snow. He had been knocked out as the plane crashed; the world went blank.

 His eyes fluttered open as he finds himself lying down on a bed. He looked around to see the environment. It looked like a hospital room. What was he doing there? A radio was playing on the desk nearby. He listened closely to what was on. The door opened, letting in a tall woman with dark hair. She glanced over at him before looking down at her watch.

 "Good morning. Or should I say, afternoon."

 "Where am I?"

 "You're in a recovery room in New York City."

 Recovery room. Not believing the woman, he looked around the room again. The room didn't look like a recovery room he would be in. He didn't feel safe or protected like a regular recovery room would do.

 "Where am I really?"

 The woman looked at him in confusion and disbelief. "I'm afraid, I don't understand."

 "The game, it's from May, nineteen forty one. I know, 'cause I was there."

 He gets slowly from the bed, his tone firm and stern.

 "Now, I'm going to ask you again. Where am I?"

 "Captain Rogers."

 "Who are you?" he cried.

 The door swings open, revealing two men in dark uniform. Trying to get him to stay calm, they approached him slowly. Steve, ripping through the walls, crashed through them. 

 "Captain Rogers, wait!" the woman called back.

 As he ran out of the room, things just became more foreign. Surrounded by the same suited men he had seen before, trying to find an exit out of the building, he continued to push his way out. The world seemed so much different as he stared at the different looking buildings in disbelief. The cold air was blowing through his bare arms. He stopped running to take a closer look at the city. His eyes grew in confusion as he continued to stare at the city buildings. Numerous black SUVs circled around him. A man dressed in a long dark jacket, also having an eye patch on his right eye, stood in front of the vehicles.

 "At ease soldier!"

  Steve turned around to meet the man in front of the vehicles. Maybe, he knows where he was. Why was everything so different? Where was he?

 "Look, I'm sorry about that little show back there, but we thought it was best to break it to you slowly."

 He looked at the man in confusion. "Break what?"

 "You've been asleep, Cap. For almost seventy years," the man answered back.

 This can't be happening. The moment only felt like yesterday; him crashing into the Artic, talking to Peggy. How could he been asleep for seventy years? The date. Their dancing date. Did he miss it? No. He couldn't have. 

 "Are you going to be okay?"

 "Yeah. Yeah, I just...I had a date," Steve replied.

 He continued to walk around, his mind and heart racing. Thoughts of Peggy roamed in his head. What did she do when he didn't show up? Did she find another partner? The man continued to watch him as Steve roamed around the area. He needed some time to himself to take in the information that was thrown at him.

 "Is everything alright, Cap?"

 "Yeah. I just. Need time to myself right now."

 The man nodded in approval before entering in the car.

 "You know where to find us."

 The cars drive off, revealing more of the foreign city. He had just realized he was in the middle of the street. People dressed differently as he took note of their appearances. Steve decided to walk around the city as he followed other people's direction. He felt lost. The world had changed. The buildings were built differently as he looked at the shapes and sizes.

 Lights were shone brightly from some of the buildings, something they didn't have back then. A moment later, he felt someone nudge him on the shoulder. He turned to see a woman about his age. Her dark brown hair was tied in ponytail, showing off the white wires that were plugged in her ears. His eyes looked directly at her New York City sweater as he felt a sudden rush of nervousness over him. A typical feeling he would feel around a woman.

 "Hi. Uhm. I'm sorry to bother, but do you know direction I should go to get to Central Park?" she asked.

 "Oh, I'm sorry Ma'am. I don't know where Central Park is. You see, I'm new here myself," he responded calmly.

 The woman looked at him in fascination; she noticed his formal tone and his old fashioned vocabulary. Did he really stand out? Was it too obvious that he wasn't from around here?

 "Really? Oh my gosh. I just moved here from California. And, my new job seemed to be pulling me away from seeing the city," she stated.

 Steve didn't know what to respond. Should he say Brooklyn? He looked back at the woman as she continued to look down and bite her lips. He had the feeling that he had made her feel awkward, a common thing Steve would do to woman. It's been seventy years since the last time he had spoken to one. His one and only, Peggy.

 "Where are you from?" the woman asked.

 "Brooklyn," he responded slowly.

 She looked at him in confusion; Steve knew what was running through her head. If you're from Brooklyn, then why are you so lost here? He assumed she would ask that kind of question. His answer would be the city he grew up in seemed to have changed after he decided to take a break from the world.

 "That's here right? Isn't Brooklyn like in the New York area?" 

 He nodded in response. "New York has changed a lot, huh?"

 She took a while to respond to his comment. Probably thinks I'm some sort of alien or something. He wouldn't blame her; he did feel like an alien. He felt lost and out of place. A man out of time. A small moment of silence fell between them again, something Steve knew well. Often times, he would try to talk to women but the conversations never lasted. Usually, for him, they never started. They wouldn't say a word to him or never realized a man was trying to talk to them. It was natural thing, Steve thought.

 "Oh by the way, I'm Grace," she introduced.

 She extended her hand out, knowing he willingly return the gesture.

 "Steve Rogers."

A/N : Sorry for taking such a butt long time to upload , well big thanks to everyone who added this to their libraries . How are you liking it so far ? Do you feel like it's being rushed ? I want to know what you guys think of it (: