Chapter One : Accepted

Grace couldn't believe it. Her eyes blinked twice to reread what she was seeing. There was one word she couldn't keep her eyes off.

  Accepted.

    The article she had been working on for weeks was finally accepted into the New York Times. It was one of the many candidates for the main article of tomorrow's paper. This was unusual for Grace, being known for the one who always stated her opinion. Her parents would have been proud of Grace, or at least they would've been happy for her. While kicking off her Converse, her body was being spun around in her chair. This day would go down in history.

  "Wow, someone is happy," a voice chirped.

  She turned to see the familiar voice that called her. James stood in the middle of the hallway as she called out again. Grace turned away, wanting a moment to herself, but James refused.

  "Help!" James cried.

   Grace gave in and unlocked the door. James walked in and sat on her bed. Her eyes, seeing the acceptance email on the screen, landed on the open laptop. Grace couldn't help but smile with pride as James continued to read the email. She then turned to Grace with an open mouth expression.

 "No freaking way."

 Grace nodded in response. "Yes WAY!"

  They both started to scream as they jumped up and down the bed. The neighbors downstairs might complain about this, but they didn't care. Their screams grew louder as the jumps became more frequent. Grace knew they had to stop before anyone reported this to the apartment head. Her legs stopped as she relaxed on the bed. James looked at her annoyingly before jumping off. She placed her laptop on the table before walking out of the room. She spotted Carly doing her usual near the kitchen, eating.

 "Caught you."

 Raising her hands in defense, Carly whipped around. Her Love Pink shirt was covered in crumbs that reached her denim shorts. Turning on her usual flirty charm, she smiled innocently. The girl had a large appetite, and her parents would always ask where she got the eating habit from.

 "You're crazy," Grace stated.

 Carly simply shrugged before taking the last bite of her sandwich. The doorbell rang and she headed to the door. Seeing a boy outside of the door, Grace followed after Carly. The boy was dressed in familiar fashion she knew well. She pushed Carly aside and looked up at the boy.

 "Well, isn't it Sean Ross? What brings you here?" she asked mischievously.

 Sean raised a brow before combing away his dark slicked back hair. Dressed in a plaid shirt and khakis, she knew he was up to something. He takes out a letter and rips it open right in front of her.

 "Did you get the letter?"

 Grace looked at him confusingly. No, she got an email. Why did he get a letter when she got an email? His strong cologne was roaming around, making her nauseous. How much perfume does he need? She watched as a smirk spread across his face.

 "Looks like my article is going to be in tomorrow's newspaper. What's the score now? Grace, zero. Sean, three."

 "Sean. I think you should close that mouth of yours. Might get you into big trouble."

 "I'm a big boy. I think I can handle it. At least I can handle the truth."

 Ouch. She was taken aback with his comment. Like many of the other times, Sean returned with a powerful comeback. He smiled with pride before closing the letter and putting it back into his pocket. Before leaving, Sean gave her his signature I-won-again-look. Grace tried her best to cover her defeat before closing the door.

Grace - zero

Sean – three