Chapter 10 (part 1)

Marshall and I walk up to my front door, our feet dragging as we do so. I realize now that I left my key inside and I knock on the door hoping moms home. After a while she opens the door. Her expression is angry, one that is foreign to my mothers face.

"Where have you been?" She asks through gritted teeth.

"Out." I answer. "But I'm back now."

" I was worried sick about you Rachel Ann Marie Dane." Oh shit I just got full named. "How could you stay out all night and never call or anything to let anyone know where you are or what you're doing? That was so irresponsible of you."

"For God's sake mom I'm an adult." I say back to her. I glance at Marshall behind me. He's still standing there, observing the argument and trying hard not to stare.

"No. An adult would have handled this better." She shakes her head. "And you." She points at Marshall. Fuck. "How dare you keep my daughter over night?"

"Mom it wasn't his fault he had to work and I was going to wait-" I am cut off.

"I don't want to hear it Rachel get inside." She opens the door wider so I can walk in.

She glares at me and I obey. Marshall is standing there shocked. I can tell by the look in his eyes that he is sorry. He stands awkwardly on our porch and I know he's unsure whether to leave or stay.

"Time slipped away from me. I should've been more responsible and it won't happen again." He says to my mother.

"You're right it won't. Watch your step." She gestures to the stairs up to our porch, urging Marshall to leave.

Without another word, without protest at all, Marshall hopped down the stairs and quickly got in his car. Mom shoots me a disapproving look as she closes the door behind him.

"What mom?" I ask, rolling my eyes.

"I don't like that boy Rachel." She admits. "He's trouble."

"How can you say that?" Rage fills my body. "You're the one who made me go out with him!"

"Don't you dare raise your voice at me." She warns.

"It's not my fault I love him mom!" I shove past her and head for the stairs. She's hot on my trail.

"Love?" The shock in her voice is prominent as she continues. "You don't even know what love is. You're too young. You haven't even known this boy for that long. What has gotten into you Rachel?"

I sprint into my room, chucking my bag on the floor. Mom stands angry faced in my doorway.

"I'm not too young to love someone." I say calmly, more upset than angry. I am willing to defend Marshall at all costs. Even if my love for him is premature I know it is true and will only get better.

"Yes. You are. And you're not to see that boy again." She hisses.

"You can't do that!" I spring up from the bed in defense. "I'm an adult you will not take him from me!"

"Oh you're an adult are you?" She scoffs. "An adult that is so foolishly in love? An adult that is screaming like a child? An adult that lives under my roof? Yes. As long as you live with me, you will not see him again."

My anger is replaced with pain. My bones ache and my body goes numb. The feeling of Marshall all over me is stripped away. No.

"Then I'm leaving." I say softly. "I'm leaving here."

"Oh you are? Where are you going to go?" She asks in disbelief.

"As far away from you as I can get." I hiss, slamming and locking the door.