Chapter Three

Picture of Cole on the side --->

          Three

          As we approach what Jagger tells me is the gym, sounds of people fighting echo down the halls. My steps start to get slower, not wanting to go down there. But as soon as Jagger notices, he grabs my arm and starts tugging me towards the other people.

            “Come on. You’re not getting away that easy.” Bullet barks at him for pulling me but Jagger just rolls his eyes. “I don’t understand how he survived, but he sure is annoying.”

            As we step through the double doors to the gym, everybody grows silent. They all turn to me and I realize that there’s one more person here than there was before. Cole instantly glares at me, his hands balling into fists at his sides. The girl stands off by the brown-haired boy I’ve never seen, but they don’t say anything.

            “Hope you’re feeling better,” Cole snaps, “Because it’s time you tell us how the fuck you knew to come here.”

            I expect Jagger to defend me like he had before, but he doesn’t say anything. Instead he shoves me forward to Cole and let’s go of my arm. When I turn around to look at him, he looks straight ahead, ignoring me and folding his arms across his chest.

            “Well?” The girl asks, her tone slowing no hint of sympathy.

            “I-I don’t know,” I whisper, my voice barely audible. Cole steps towards me, his teeth clenching together.

            “What?” He leans over me, intimidating me.

            “I don’t know,” I repeat.

            “How do you not know?” He asks bitterly, shoving me backwards. “You have to know!”

            “Tell us,” the girl says, her voice stern. The boy beside her still doesn’t speak and keeps his eyes on the ground. “We need to know!”

            Everyone stares at me, waiting for some kind of answer. I open my mouth to give them one but nothing comes out. What am I supposed to tell them? My dog, who I’m not positive is actually my dog, led me here?

            “She can’t remember her name,” Jagger says suddenly.

            Cole’s eyes flicker to him and then go back to glaring at me. “Is that true?” I nod and he runs his palm across his face, stressed. “It’s your name. How do you not know?”

            “I fell,” I reply quietly. “I can’t remember anything before I woke up.”

            “Bullshit,” Cole spits. “How do you know you fell if you can’t remember?”

            Finally gaining a bit of confidence, I shrug. “I woke up at the bottom of a staircase. I just assumed.”

            Cole whips around and starts pacing towards the back wall of the regular-looking gym. He mutters quietly to himself and I pick up him cursing fifty-percent of the time.

            “I think she has a concussion,” Jagger admits. I feel his eyes on me but I don’t dare turn around. “So she might be telling the truth.”

            Might be? I am telling the truth!

            “Well we can’t trust her,” the girl says, folding her arms across her chest.