Chapter Thirteen

Thirteen

          I think the last thing anyone wants is a child.  Five teenagers, all surviving a zombie apocalypse and armed with guns for shooting the monsters now have to take care of a toddler. I don’t think this is going to go well.

            Despite his reluctance to the little boy inside the office, Jagger quickly warmed up. Once he believed that he was truly human, he started treating him like he’s one of us and making sure that he’s safe. Right now, he walks beside me, holding the little boy’s hand with one arm and aiming a gun in the other. If it wasn’t for the fact that we’re not living in a normal world, I would say that Jagger is being incredibly cute.

            “Cole is going to shit,” Jagger mutters, tugging the boy along as we round a corner. His free hand is in his mouth and he keeps looking up at me with his big eyes.

            “Yeah, he’s not going to be happy.” I sigh and try to navigate my way over a fallen shelf. “But we don’t have any other options. We can’t just leave him here. When we get to Fort Saunders, I’m sure someone will know how to take care of him.”

            Jagger nods. “He’ll be in better hands there. Another reason for us to get going.”

            We do two laps of the entire Wal-Mart, occasionally calling out for Cole, Jack and Emily. We hear no replies, gunshots or sounds, other than the occasional raspy groan that can only mean there are still some zombies here.

            “Where are they?” I wonder aloud, flashing my light across some racks of clothes.

            “I have no idea.” Jagger’s voice is clipped and the little boy looks up at him, curious.

            “Maybe they went back to the car,” I suggest, slowing to a halt. “We should abandon the power search and check outside for them.”

            Jagger nods. “Good idea. You lead the way.”

            I shield my eyes from the bright light of the fading day. After being inside for so long trying to see in the dark, the sun is blinding, even if it’s not directly in the sky anymore. I squint, struggling to see across the parking lot. I look to the small car we found earlier and see no one around it.

            “They’re not there,” I sigh.

            Jagger raises his arm in front of me, pointing in a different direction. “That’s because they’re over there.”

            I turn away from the sun and see Cole, Jack and Bullet by a yellow Hummer. Cole’s under the hood, looking over the engine while Jack is staring wearingly across the pavement. I follow his gaze and see a group of zombies far away devouring what appears to be a man. Well, used to be.

            “Where’s Emily?” Jagger asks as we approach them. Cole and Jack immediately spot us but the second their eyes land on the child they look like they’re going to be sick.