Chapter Two

Picture of Jagger on the side-->

Two

          Have you ever seen an action movie where a fight scene happens so quickly that you don’t understand what’s happening until it’s over? That’s how I feel right now, expect I’m not watching a movie, in fact I can’t even remember a movie I’ve seen before.

            Two bodies hit the ground with a thump in front of me. It’s the woman and the tall man. The girl with the broken ankle is hobbling towards me, going at a snail’s pace while the other man is going for the school doors.

            As soon as my instincts kick in, I’m on my feet and moving backwards.

            “Use your gun!” Someone shouts. “Shoot her!”

            My eyes move towards the double doors only to find a teenage boy standing there. He’s reloading his gun as the man moves towards him quickly, but he doesn’t look worried.

            “Don’t just fucking stand there!” He screams. “Shoot her!”

            My hands shake as I grip the shotgun. My mouth feels too dry and my legs feel like they might fail me and collapse.  I swallow, but it doesn’t make me feel any better. I hold my breath as I raise the gun towards the woman.

            The boy continues to yell at me, struggling with his gun. Bullet barks defensively from the side of the girl, but she doesn’t even flinch. My blood starts to pound in my ears but it doesn’t block anything out, it only makes the noises worse.

            “Shoot her!”

            I don’t think. I just pull the trigger. There’s a loud bang, the gun threatens to recoil in my hands. I move in a way like I’ve shot a gun and it doesn’t throw me back. The girl groans, but it’s nothing compared to the scream I expected. Before I can question why she isn’t crying out, my ears are ringing.

            There’s another gun shot and then footsteps. I can’t move. The shotgun rolls out of my hands and I fall onto my knees. Just as the girl reaches for me, there’s another bang and then she falls to the ground, a small hole in the back of her head.

            “Come on, get up,” the boy snaps, hurrying towards me. Bullet quickly runs in front of him, protecting me but the boy shoves him away. I don’t feel like I can move. In fact, I feel like I might pass out. I just shot someone. But I didn’t kill her; the boy did. But I still shot her.

            The boy puts his own gun in his holster and grabs the shotgun with his now free hand. He reaches down for me and takes mine in his. I feel small, like a child as he helps me to his feet. His brown hair falls in his face as he helps me and when I’m up, he doesn’t let go of my hand.

            “This can’t be happening,” I whisper to myself. The boy starts tugging me towards the school doors, wanting to move faster but my feet can barely move the right way. “This can’t be happening.” He’s a head taller than me at least, probably more. Bullet barks at him but doesn’t attack. Eventually he stops when he realizes that the boy is helping me rather than hurting, but Bullet still stays as close to my side as possible.

            “Hurry up before more of them come.”

            More of them? There are more of those crazy people out there trying to attack us? What the heck is going on?

            When we reach the school doors they’re thrown open before the boy can even reach for them. I don’t have time to see whose inside before someone grabs the chest part of my white dress and yanks me inside. Everything is dark. My hand slips from the boy’s and fear starts to work its way back inside me. I feel Bullet pressed to my side but losing my sight makes the gesture less comforting.