Epilogue

Epilogue

          The station is clear of zombies. We step over tearing newspapers as we walk into the front doors. The hinges creak as we walk through, listening to the echoes of our footsteps on the tile. Inside there are more newspapers, but they look better, like they haven’t been touch by the concept of nature.

            I pause over one and pick it up.

            Is This The End?

            The virus is said to be spread through the recent H1N1 vaccination. Dr. Reese Van Houston has been studying the virus since the first death.

            “The heart doesn’t agree with two of the chemicals that mix in the vaccination. Something about them combined increases rate for serious blood clots, which can cause death. Once the person dies, tests have shown that their brains are still active. When I tested their chromosomes they had broken apart. Later when I tested them again, they came back together, but in opposite form.”

            “Hey, Sloane.” Jagger’s feet create small sounds as he walks towards me. He hands me a paper and I trade him for mine. I stare down at the page he’s turned to.

            Local Missing Girl Seen In Vehicle

            There isn’t much information except for my name – Sloane Moore.

            There’s also a picture attached, of me sitting in the passenger seat of a van. In the driver’s seat there’s a man, and if I squint close enough, I can tell who it is. I’m sitting next to my father, looking completely dazed and out of it. In fact, it kind of looks like I’m drunk.

            I’m not myself, or my old self, I guess would be the correct term.

            I take the paper and fold it up into my backpack. Jagger and I follow Cole and Bullet towards a series of steps that lead us into the underground. The lower we go, the darker it gets. We each pull out one of our flashlights.

            “Why do you think it’s deserted?” Jagger asks. He’s holding my hand again, even though he knows now I won’t run. I don’t pull it away.

            “Would you go to a subway if there was a zombie outbreak, or hold up in your house?” Cole responds.

            “Point taken.”

            We walk down all of the steps until we reach the platform. One train car is in the station, which is odd. What’s even stranger is the fact that it’s derailed, smashed into the side of the platform wall. If I look close enough, I think I can see bones.

            “So what do we do now?” I ask.

            Jagger squeezes my hand.

            “I have to find the ticket booth and scan my card.” Cole reaches down his t-shirt and pulls out a necklace. On the bottom of the string is a piece of paper with his information, picture and a barcode. It’s laminated and looks important.

            “Where did you get that?” Jagger steps closer to him and I follow behind as he takes the plastic between his finger and thumb. He looks it over intently.

            “My dad gave it to me when the outbreaks started,” he explains. “He said that if anything happened to him to have it on me in case I needed to use it. I guess he was right…”