Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Andrea and I made it back just in time to avoid mom and dad’s disappointment.  They were in the living room when we got back and I could tell they had been worried the whole two hours we had been gone. “How was the arcade?” mom asked with a smile that was still shaky with fear. I cursed Logan all over again for doing this to my family.

“It was good.” Andrea answered.” Syd didn’t even try to fake or embarrass me.”

“Wow, that’s a miracle.” Mom laughed.

“Yes, ha-ha laugh at my expense. I’m heading up to bed. Goodnight.” I felt pretty good I realized while I dressed for bed. My not-so-real date went better than I could’ve hoped for and even though we ran into Austin I didn’t let it ruin the night. The only downfall was it was a school night and I had to be up early or face detention.

I didn’t sleep much last night especially after the whole ordeal with Austin but I wasn’t letting those memories keep me up. I let exhaustion win and fell right to sleep.

Being asleep didn’t mean the memories were going to stay away. I dreamt of being there with Austin again in the grass, what it felt like to have him kiss and touch me. The sweet memories of how kind he had been only added to my anger. Why couldn’t that nice guy stick around?

When it was time to get ready for school Andrea was in my home and slapping my shoulder. “Come on, we’re already going to be late.” She was clearly annoyed judging by all the huffing and puffing she was doing.

“I don’t want to.”

“I don’t care. You’re my ride for today and you don’t have a valid reason to stay home.”

I was sure I could come up with one, even milk Logan’s attack to my parents so they’d let me stay home, but the problem with that was my anger at the thought of Logan had me jumping out of bed and reaching for jeans. I wasn’t going to be his victim anymore.

“I’ll be waiting by the car.” Andrea said before leaving so I could finish getting dressed alone.

I pulled on a tank top to go with the faded blue jeans. I combed out my hair because if I didn’t it’d look like I walked through a tornado, and after that I was good to go.

In the car Andrea passed me a tube of lipstick. “A little color wouldn’t kill you.”

It was still too early in the morning to argue with little sisters so I just slapped on a coating of the maroon lipstick and pulled out of the driveway.

We got there with a few minutes to spare. Andrea rushed out of the car to meet with her friends while I opted to lean my head back and catch the shortest cat nap in history before the first bell rung.

My eyes snapped out as the passenger side door opened. “We need to talk.” Austin said.

Damn it and my nap had been going so well. “We did talk last night when I said I don’t care about what you have to say.” I felt a headache forming at the base of my skull from all the anger I was biting down on. I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of picking a fight.

He sighed, running a hand over his short hair. “We need to talk and it can’t wait.”

“You sound like a broken record. Whatever you have to say just spit it out and get out of my car. Or better yet just get out.” I wasn’t in the mood to suffer through this anymore, being trapped in a small space inhaling his scent, and reached for my own door handle.

“Sydney.” Austin gripped my hand and pulled it away from the handle. “You might be pregnant.”

He wanted my attention and he sure had it now. My body went limp in the chair. “What?”

“We weren’t careful.”

“I know that, I was there you idiot.” My hands started to shake and I didn’t know why it was happening. I went to rub them together and noticed Austin was still holding on to my right one. I pulled my hand free and cut him a glare. “What else aren’t you telling me?”

“I didn’t realize the impact of our mistake until my mother asked me.”

Holy hell it does get worse. It always manages to get worse. “Oh geez. You were talking to your mom about this?”

“She asked and she asked because—and I didn’t know this—everything between us is much more heightened. There’s a chance of pregnancy with unprotected sex but between us as bonded mates that goes up by double.”

Tears sprung to my eyes as I realized there was a bigger chance I was pregnant than not. Nothing fell in my favor. “How could you do this to me?” my words were whispered as another life flashed before my eyes, the life I was supposed to have after high school at college studying to be something other than the future alpha’s wife.

“I didn’t know.”

Without fail I felt like the world’s biggest idiot all over again. First and second place now all mine in the world records. “You knew you were playing with my emotions and you knew it every time you touched me.”

“It wasn’t all an act.” Austin was good at using the right words and looking at you with those hazel eyes seemingly so trustful but holding a world of deceit behind them.

“Do you really expect me to believe anything you ever say again?”

“Fine, but we have to figure this out.”

“Not right now we don’t. I’m thinking I’ve been kicked in the teeth enough this year and just maybe I’m not having your baby and we’re jumping ahead for nothing. I need a win so I’m out of here before Mrs. Field hands out detention.” I ran out of the car and into the building as fast as I could without using my lycan speed but I was tempted. I needed to be far away from Austin.

I didn’t go to class like I should, instead I ran into the bathroom and locked myself in one of the stalls.

 This couldn’t be happening. Just two weeks ago I was thanking my lucky stars I didn’t have problems like these and now here I was in Mary’s shoes fearing I could be a teen mom and what our pack would say. It wouldn’t be a secret for long, with Mrs. Carter knowing she wouldn’t wait long to include my parents. Our pack liked to be prepared and didn’t keep secrets as big as this one could very well be.

What the hell was I going to do?