Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I was terrified in ways I didn’t deem possible before. After what happened with Logan all those months ago, I turned into a shadow of my former self and hid away from everything because I feared every single emotion.

It was nothing compared to the fear I felt when I couldn’t find Austin. I needed to see with my own two eyes that he was ok. I raced through the forest, swatting branches from my face before they could hit me, my legs started to burn but I didn’t stop. I could feel him up ahead the farther I went. He hadn’t gone home or left the forest.

I wanted to call out his name but I feared he might try to hide. It wasn’t like we were on the best terms; if he wanted to be alone I was probably the last person he wanted to crash his party. He didn’t know it yet but we needed each other. He killed to save my life and it was my turn to return the favor by helping through his misguided guilt.

The forest broke off, spitting into two halves divided by a lake. That’s where I found Austin sitting by the water. He shifted back into his human form; his bare back gleamed like a slab of granite under the moonlight. If he heard me he didn’t let it show. I walked forward and laid my over his shoulder.

I got on my knees to sit behind him. I wrapped both my arms around his back. “You shouldn’t be alone.” I whispered because I didn’t want to disturb the silent spell in the air. Even with Austin’s wrecked emotions I felt peace.

His body tensed.  “Are you taking pity on me?”

“No, I know you would never accept it. I’m here because you need me. Mates help each other through the good and the bad.” I spoke with conviction that firmly explained I wasn’t going to allow him to push me away.

He turned slightly to peer at me over his shoulder. “So you had to be kidnapped and I had to kill, for you to finally admit it?”

“Piece of cake, right?” I smiled and touched my hand to his cheek next. I never wanted to stop torching him. “But seriously, I realized a lot when I was trying to figure out Logan and his plan. I realized I spent too much time being mad at you for something I was trying to fight. I hate what you did but I hated more the lack of control I felt. I didn’t want to fall in love with you.” I confessed.

The heaviness of the night started to ease from his eyes. “You’re in love with me?”

I was so scared of having my heart broken. I was tempted to try and explain away what I just said and I could too with some crafty lying. But, what would that accomplish? “I’m terrified I’m going to give into this and you’re going to tell me it was all a joke.”

“I didn’t lie, Sydney, not about the important stuff. I lied about not having control over our attraction but I didn’t lie about wanting to have sex with you. I was an asshole and I’m sorry for that.” The kiss he laid on me now pressed pause on the conversation we’d have to pick up later.

His hands came around my face as he kissed me intensely on the mouth. I was reminded he was naked when my hands fell on his bare chest. I could feel his heart racing beneath my hand. Things escalated at a rapid speed. His mouth dropped down to my chest, kissing the exposed skin as his hands reached around my back for the zipper.

I was in a haze and didn’t think about stopping him. I didn’t want to keep finding reasons to doubt him. I had to take the leap and believe his apology, believe him when he swore not to hurt me again. I had to take a gamble if I wanted us to have a relationship, so that’s what I did. I surrendered because I was in love with Austin Cater, I wanted us to have a life together.

He was three seconds from getting my dress open when his hands froze.

“Austin!” I hadn’t been the only one looking for him.