Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I didn’t know what to say to that, or what to feel. On impulse, I got out of the car and raced inside my house, up to my bedroom. I didn’t believe what Austin said because he’s already proven to say and do just about anything to coax a reaction from me.

Granted, there was no gain that I could see but fool me once and all that. I had a good reason to be guarded with Austin, and I wasn’t going to forget it. I couldn’t let myself fall into whatever game he was playing now. Nope, I wasn’t going to do it.

I asked for the truth and all I got was more confusion. I still didn’t know anything more than when I asked Austin those questions.

I walked over to my bed and sat. I sent Andrea a text letting her know I flaked out of the dress shopping and I was home now. I didn’t want her to panic and think Logan somehow found me alone.

With that out of the way, I laid back and stared at the white ceiling above.

I had to start being honest with myself. I was very confused on what was going on with Austin but I also knew deep down I was heavily attracted to the guy. Even before we slept together, I took notice of him and it wasn’t always just the mate thing between us. A leak, although a drip still caused a flood, and Austin was my flood. He was starting to drown my every moment and I didn’t know how to break through the surface.

I could just kill him for this whole mess. For so long we had it planned out; our parents would push for us to marry and together we’d battle them because we didn’t want each other, never would. But now what? What was the plan?

I didn’t want to keep thinking about this! It wasn’t my job to figure it out! I was going to ignore Austin and I knew with time, whatever this was, would end eventually. I wanted it to stop. Considering anything else left me scared. There could never be a me and Austin.

I got up and left my room before my thoughts drove me to the nearest mental ward. I headed down to the living room to park my butt in front of the TV. Anything that was on would be a better distraction then being alone upstairs.

I caved and settled on a Lifetime movie about a serial killer, when the doorbell went off. I turned and looked at the door, making no movement to get up. Who could it be? There wasn’t anyone I wanted to see. Ok, I confess, I was terrified it was Austin to come confuse me all over again.

The doorbell went off again. “Sydney? I know you’re home, it’s Jonathan.” My heart rate calmed down. Jonathan was just about the only person not pressuring me these days.

I tossed the remote off to the side and got up. “Give me a second. You’re alone, right?”

He laughed. “Yes, ma’am. I’ve never been cruel enough to inflict Austin on you.”

I swung the door open. “I wasn’t even asking about him.”

“Sure, I believe you.”

“You’re not nearly as cute as you think you are.”

“Ouch.”

I took his arm and tugged. “Get in here, you ass. What brings you by?”

He tossed his lanky body onto the couch. “The same thing that makes you turn to Lifetime. What is it this time? Crazy girlfriend,  crazy parents, crazy killer?”

“Let’s go with all of the above.” I took the corner of the couch to call my own. While he read the information on the movie, I stared at his face. I had a good hunch about what he was really doing here. “Remember when I said you weren’t a good liar?” it was just before my date with Blake.